Retrofit: Front Fog lamps & Paddle shifters - Golf Mk7.5

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I would also be interested in understanding the wiring a bit more. I'm aware the leads from each fog lamp unit should be connected to Pin 45 (for LHS) and Pin 5 (RHS) of the BCM.

^^^nibose: hi

On MQB platform vehicles like the mk7.5 and the mk7, you need to make a mental separation between the actual light fittings and the LDS: both items are indeed wired to the BCM (as you correctly say) - but it's useful (IMO) to think about the fog-light fittings as being connected as "outputs" from the BCM and to consider the LDS to be an "input" to the hex09 module.

This is a tad different to traditional lighting wiring - but consider the BCM as a kind of "fat controller" (of Thomas-the-tank-engine fame) for the car's 35 x exterior lights.

Here's how the front fogs are wired (it's as you describe in your post):

8Eu6oee.png

Shouldn't there be a connection from the LDS to the BCM as well or is it already taken care of, because I've already got rear fogs installed?

What an excellent question!!!

Here's my guess of how the LDS is wired to the BCM (I'm guessing because the official WD doesn't show the LDS internals)

BbCkU47.jpg

"J519" is the BCM.

Apropos of the answer to your question -the unusual thing about my guesstimate arrangement above (for me at least) for your project is the fact that there is only one wire from the LDS to control both the rear and the front fogs (isn't that interesting?). I've pulled apart a LDS and there's a piece of electronics inside the LDS that sends a different signal depending on the switch position. That's why I have shown a box with a transistor symbol on the LHS of the LDS in my picture.

Here's a set of oscilloscope traces that I took that show the nature of the fog light signal from the LDS (ignore the bald headed Adonis holding a camera in the background):

BMxl4cV.png

I suppose that the BCM could simply look for 3 x different voltages (OFF/Front-fog/Rear-fog), but I'm not sure if it's this simple. Perhaps you have your own hypothesis-maybe?

So as a final statement, the answer to your question is (surprisingly) NO there is no additional wire needed from the LDS to the BCM for the front fog facility (because there are extra smarts inside your new LDS).

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hello DV52!

Its such a pleasure to see you online again. Thank you for all the answers.

One last question is about the fog lamp wiring harness, would you be aware of the OEM part code? I've only managed to find it here but confused if this is the one I need: https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/fog-lights/oem-wiring-harness-cable-for-fog/#prettyPhoto

Many Thanks,

Nitin

Nitin: Hi. The pleasure is all mine - thank you for the salutation!

Sorry, no I'm not aware of the part number for OEM wiring harness - but the screen shot on your link for the connectors on the BCM end of the harness looks good. Since you already have the new fogs, you should be able to judge whether the lamp fitting end connectors look OK.

But struth - 60.00 € for basically two wires and 4 x connectors seems a bit stiff - and I assume that's without delivery to our fair shores!! Given the covid-19 exchange rate for our pacific peso, you might need to visit a Bank manager before committing to the transaction!!;)

Don

Last edited:

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170
But struth - 60.00 € for basically two wires and 4 x connectors seems a bit stiff - and I assume that's without delivery to our fair shores!! Given the covid-19 exchange rate for our pacific peso, you might need to visit a Bank manager before committing to the transaction!!;)

Don

The word O-E-M always means ex-pen-sive... see, it even rhymes the same :)

Keeping the costs aside the bigger questions will "when" the items reaches since I heard there's a complete block on entry from overseas from the 23rd. Having said that the same item is available in aliexpress for $26: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32728282831.html

I've just installed the LDS, I noticed all the 9 wires are present; I can also see all the coding options (for front fogs) available, hope there are no other compatibility issues. :)

regards,

Nitin

Last edited:

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170
Hi,

Just a quick question that came to my mind. How can I make the connections to the BCM (PIN 45 & 5)? Do I simply push the wires on the BCM connectors or the BCM has to be removed?

Please enlighten me here.

Many thanks,

Nitin

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
BCM doesn't need to be removed, but the connector does. it has to be opened/dismantled as well. then you should be able to figure out how to insert the pins.

if you don't, maybe it's time to get help :P

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170
if you don't, maybe it's time to get help :P

Hey darkchina811, long time!

Indeed I do plan to have a workshop do the activity, but must instruct them well as they are asking me to leave the vehicle and they shall get back when things are ready - which am not comfortable.

By the way, just realised that there is no "steering wheel" control module that I can see when scanning with VCDS, is this because the function is within some other modules? I wanted to check for the option for "paddle shifters".

Pardon my ignorance! :)

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
the paddles to shift gears connect to the steering wheel buttons and the whole assembly talks via LIN bus to the steering wheel module, which is Subsystem 3 under your 09 BCM. from here they travel elsewhere via CAN bus.

paddle shifters will need to be enabled by changing one adaptation in module 19 Gateway. chances are they are already enabled and will work right away.

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170
paddle shifters will need to be enabled by changing one adaptation in module 19 Gateway. chances are they are already enabled and will work right away.

Hi,

yes, they did work right away, without any coding. :)

I've also installed OEM sports pedals and the new LDS for the front fog lamp capability. Will start the fog lamp installation soon.

BL6SRN5.jpg

sNbNXAF.jpg

jfbkky0.jpg

EHS6bUf.jpg

h6GSCze.png

Reactions: Uwe

nibose

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=371170
Hi,

Where can I find the PIN diagram for my BCM? Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 DA HW: 5Q0 937 084 CD.

Tried the internet but did not get concrete results.

darkchina811

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=333184
on erWin. after buying one hour you can input your VIN and get wiring diagrams that you can print to PDF. there will be a huge document called BASIC EQUIPMENT, towards the ends there is pinouts for most modules.

Back