Thread: Using VCDS to retract EPB

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Using VCDS to retract EPB

I'll be installing new pads and rotors today and have been looking into using VCDS to retract the EPB. The YouTube video stated the importance of connecting the vehicle to a battery charger. Will a trickle charger work for this or do I need to go purchase a full on battery charger today?

Post Thanks / Like
    The importance is to keep the system voltage constantly and consistently steady. My A4 B8 draws between 8 & 10A just sitting with the ignition on. The parking brake motors have a high inrush current but also drive to a stall - the current can peak at 20A. If your battery is not 100% charge - and they never are - the current peaks can drop the system voltage significantly. This has been known to 'brick' an EPB module.

Check the maximum output of your charger. If under 10A, you may need something a bit more substantial.

3. Likes raf0468, jyoung8607, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can use trickle charger, but make sure you have good battery voltage before you start the procedure,
    the process only takes a little while, the idea of having charger connected is that the battery voltage does not drop too low for the
    calipers to retract and stop half way and cause problems.

posted same time..as zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I CBA to attach my BSU I start the engine.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I just went out and bought a battery charger rather than hope the trickle charger would be enough. It isn't a very expensive charger. It's a Black n Decker Pecker Wrecker from Home Depot. Says "Amperage 15" Now Im just waiting on my mechanic friend to help me out.