Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCDS-Mobile iOS app

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS-Mobile iOS app

I understand this is a helper app, essentially only "discovering" the interface.

In order to get the most out of VCDS mobile it seems that you should run in infrastructure mode, the iPhone's hotspot helps with this, however in my experience the app does not scan the temporary 172.x.x.x subnet for the interface.

Does a workaround exist for this, or do you have plans to update the app? Updating the app would be preferable given its core purpose.

It certainly isn't impossible to derive the interface IP through guesswork, but the app appears to exist to give some level of slickness.

Last edited by JohnnyFiama; 12-26-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Screenshot

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moving this to HEX-NET support.

If you don't hear anything further, I suggest bumping this thread sometime during the first full week of January when everyone is back from holiday break.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes gawied liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happens the same with me. As a work around, search for the free version of 'iNet - Network Scanner' on the App Store and run a network scan whilst you HEX-NET is connected to the Hotspot. XXX.XXX.XXX.1 is the host (iPhone) and the other address will be your HEX-NET. You may then open a Safari page and manually type the 172... address.

Note to self - must address that SD Critical error...

5. Likes Uwe, JohnnyFiama, gawied liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    Happens the same with me. As a work around, search for the free version of 'iNet - Network Scanner' on the App Store and run a network scan whilst you HEX-NET is connected to the Hotspot. XXX.XXX.XXX.1 is the host (iPhone) and the other address will be your HEX-NET. You may then open a Safari page and manually type the 172... address.
    Perfect, thanks! I was struggling to find a tool that scans the iOS bridge interface.

I am still interested to hear what the VCDS-Mobile developers have to say regarding this, if possible it would be good to see an updated app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
    Perfect, thanks! I was struggling to find a tool that scans the iOS bridge interface.

I am still interested to hear what the VCDS-Mobile developers have to say regarding this, if possible it would be good to see an updated app.
    Indeed, it would.

But the fact that you were "struggling to find a tool that scans the iOS bridge interface" is somewhat telling, isn't it?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

8. Likes gawied liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Indeed, it would.

But the fact that you were "struggling to find a tool that scans the iOS bridge interface" is somewhat telling, isn't it?

-Uwe-
    I do concede this may not be straight forward, and I'm unclear what discovery method the app uses (which could be a complicating factor). Fingers crossed that your guys and girls have some bright ideas

10. Likes gawied liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    I use Fing. But then it is just copy and paste. On my Macs I have the address bookmarked for future use.

12. Likes gawied liked this post
    Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please confirm that you are using VCDS-Mobile Version 1.07. This update addresses various compatibility issues with iOS 13 - like retrieving WiFI SSID and Dark mode UI.

I have seen it working correctly when both the iPhone and HN are connected to the same WiFi Infrastructure, but it seems your issue is when your HN is connected to the iPhone's hotspot. Correct?

We will test this in the coming week and let you know.

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gawied View Post
    ...but it seems your issue is when your HN is connected to the iPhone's hotspot. Correct?
    Yes, indeed Gawie.

16. Likes gawied liked this post
    Developer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JohnnyFiama and Zenerdiode

We manage to replicate the hotspot issue and are busy testing a fix for it.
    Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Gawie

18. Likes Eric, Uwe liked this post