Adaptation channels - search criteria?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
The current search function in VCDS for adaptation channels uses the channel name - and it's very useful for those modules with an ever increasing channel count. But is it possible to extend the function (I assume as an option) to search by setting value?

I suspect that searching settings for more common terms like "active" wouldn't be very useful - but finding a wanted channel with a more obscure value using a "setting-based" search vector would be quite handy - IMO.

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think that's very practical. We don't know the value in the channels until we read them, so we'd have to make a map first, which can be rather time-consuming.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Thanks Uwe- if making an admap is necessary, then it's probably just as easy to import the data into a third-party application (like MS Excel) and search there!

Don

Reactions: Uwe

D-Dub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=272151
it'd be nice if vcds could export autoscan/admaps to a nicely formatted HTML report that could open a browser window to let the user easily view and search (control F) without needing excel or any other app.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
it'd be nice if vcds could export autoscan/admaps to a nicely formatted HTML report that could open a browser window to let the user easily view and search (control F) without needing excel or any other app.
Wait, a browser isn't an "app"? ;)

You can do a lot more with data in Excel (or the spreadsheet app of your choice) than you can in a browser. Hence we believe that .CSV is the most useful output format.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
D-dub: thanks for responding to my thread.

I have to agree with what the "other guy" is saying. I also use another diagnostic device that exports admap-like data in a structured format that looks pretty and is "nice" to read as text. It works OK where there aren't many records in the database - but a very heavy price is paid for the sake of "readability" in those modules that are channel rich. Importing these structured files into any third-party data analysis tool is APITA: the preconditioning script to parse the information into something like Exel, or Access is almost as big as the data file, itself!!

It seems to my amateur eye that the tendency in VAG vehicles is for control modules with ever increasing database size. In this environment, admaps with a flat file structure (like .CSV) has to be the preferred format- IMO.

In opening this thread, I had hoped that VCDS had access to the channel setting in much the same way that it accessed the channel name. I'm not sure why I thought this - but it seems (once again) that I was wrong! No matter - it just means that I will need to continue my current practice (make an admap and export the file into a third-party data analysis tool).

Don

Last edited:

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Hence we believe that .CSV is the most useful output format.
Plus .CSV is actually just text, so can also be read by any text editor or text comparison program.

Reactions: Uwe
Back