Where is J533?

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Old thread in Audiworld response by Ross-Tech *: "J533 is the CAN Gateway, integrated into the Instrument Cluster."

In what models is J533 integrated into the instrument cluster?

Will it show up on the schematic as "inside" the J285 "block"?

Thanks

Robert

* 10-8-2007 Andy@Ross-Tech
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Open up WD in each application in RTFB to determine what is what or use auto-scan's to a degree to determine by part numbers displayed in software.

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
J533

Open up WD in each application in RTFB to determine what is what or use auto-scan's to a degree to determine by part numbers displayed in software.

Hi:

I can do that searching for J533 within the J285 block in WD for each vehicle.

Kind of thought that the Ross Tech comment (although old) indicated that this information might be readily at hand.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
And you need this specific information why, kind of seems like a waste of time to compile when each scan or observation of RTFB will show it?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't know about the rest of the crew, but I don't keep mental track of where a control module is (or whether it's a virtual module hiding inside another module) for every model of VW-Audi Group car ever produced.

I may happen to know it for some models, so if you have a model specific question, feel free to ask.

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
When wanting to know a location of a module it would be best to use WD and component finder.

As for how many or which modules embed a gateway in cluster I believe the answer is, a lot of them but not all of them. :p

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
"I may happen to know it for some models, so if you have a model specific question, feel free to ask. "

A6C5 Quattro 4.2l. Various statements say J533 embedded in J285. Searched WD and could not identify anything that would support that idea. I would think that J533 would be indicated within the J285 block along with for example the radio controlled clock

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Several people have posted that 2003 A6 Quattro 4.2 does not have CAN. According to WD it does.
Also J533 in 285. Does embedded J533 provide same functionality/access as stand alone J533?
Are the CAN-high CAN-low in J285(embedded J533) same as CAN-high CAN-low in J533 external module?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Several people have posted that 2003 A6 Quattro 4.2 does not have CAN. According to WD it does.
Also J533 in 285. Does embedded J533 provide same functionality/access as stand alone J533?
Are the CAN-high CAN-low in J285(embedded J533) same as CAN-high CAN-low in J533 external module?

Does it not have an internal W-CAN high/low not a bus for direct access at DLC?

Do you see a CAN twisted pair at DLC and are you sure it isn't the internal sub network among modules and don't those cars support a dual K & L line too?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...-you-should-have-a-baseline-understanding-of-!

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
"Does it not have an internal W-CAN high/low" I din;t undderstand what a W-CAN high/low is.
Yrs it has K & L Can't look at DLC right now.. All circuit diagrams lead me to believe it is CAN as was the 2002 butt auto scan shows no CAN (address 19). That is part of my question. Does the embedded J533 show up as address 19 CAN Gateway?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
"Does it not have an internal W-CAN high/low" I din;t undderstand what a W-CAN high/low is.
Yrs it has K & L Can't look at DLC right now.. All circuit diagrams lead me to believe it is CAN as was the 2002 butt auto scan shows no CAN (address 19). That is part of my question. Does the embedded J533 show up as address 19 CAN Gateway?

You better RTFB & maybe an SSP for design & function............ :rolleyes:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It uses CAN for communications between modules internally, but no for diagnostic communications to the outside world.

Think of it like having ethernet in your house, but using dial-up (or DSL) to connect to the outside world.

-Uwe-

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
So this virtual J533 embedded in the J285 is not the same as the stand alone J533? I have a cluster apart and there is an awful lot of stuff in there for what it does. Anyone have a circuit diagram/component ID for the cluster?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Not a real friendly response. Are you a Ross-Teck employee or a hanger on?

NOPE just an asshole trying to help a fellow compatriot realize their laziness & lack of attention to details, do you see it?

erWin no go back to 2003

No huh, so what is so friendly about asking the forum to purport issues for illegal unlawful content?

Did you Google it already? Well will ya? :p...........

I'm sorry you believe this and doubt my intent huh?

http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/Docs/SSP/VWUSA.COM_SSP_941003_Audi_Engine_Management.pdf

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_238.pdf

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_269_d1.pdf

https://www.snapon.com/Files/Diagno...leCommunicationSoftwareManual_EAZ0031B01D.pdf

Last edited:

tultalk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Clarification of purpose: I want to add a stand alone J533 to my 2003 which has the virtual J533 embedded in J285.
1. Why? Because I want to
2. Should not pose problems?

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Clarification of purpose: I want to add a stand alone J533 to my 2003 which has the virtual J533 embedded in J285.
1. Why? Because I want to
2. Should not pose problems?

About time you used some proper disclosed goals known, huh?

You do realize people cant guess what it is you want if you are evasive & cryptic?

Than take to retrofit area but did you see the prior post here?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?21477-Where-is-J533&p=191219&viewfull=1#post191219

You can do whatever the hell you want, just as it's in the correct area because this area is for repairs that comport, did you know that?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Retrofits

JPPSG

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

What you want is induced FOD punishment and that is fine by me?

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

Back