Interface not found

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Hi all, I have a HEX+CAN cable which I have used and has been working fine in the past. Windows 10 has since installed updates and and now with a fresh VCDS install when being tested the LED flashes green and red for a while then it comes up with an error message "interface not found".

I have tried on a brand new laptop with freshly installed Windows 10 Pro, updates disabled, Windows device guard disabled and a fresh VCDS install and it still comes up with the same error. I have searched the forum and the internet for another solution but can't find anything else that helps.

In device manager it shows as Ross-Tech Direct USB interface and says it is working properly - screenshots below.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Is there an updated driver or a different driver I could try?

AIB Wolfgang

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
Hello
As the user manual discribes........
Please connect your interface with the car and restart the "TEST"

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please post a photo of the HEX+CAN interface you are using.

-Uwe-

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I have tried it with a motorbike connected and it gave the same error, but that bike potentially has some electrical issues.

I will try tonight with it connected to a different vehicle and will post up some pics of the interface as well.

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Ok, I have tried with a different car now and it still doesn't work.

Pictures of interface:

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
No serial number, and a VCDS version number listed on the interface?

Absolutely, most 100% definitely a cloned interface, without a shadow of a doubt.

The odd thing is the OP is a Verified user, so at some point they must have had a genuine interface.

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
I am pretty sure I bought the interface off here? It is the only interface I have and I verified my account using that interface.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Did it come with a CD with the English 12.12 VCDS version on it?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I am pretty sure I bought the interface off here? It is the only interface I have and I verified my account using that interface.

The interface in the pictures is 100% not one sourced from Ross-Tech.
- Ross-Tech never put a software version number on the interface as their interfaces work with the latest version
- All genuine interfaces from the HUC onwards have a printed serial number on the label
- Ross-Tech don't use black screws

Reactions: Uwe

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300

It's hard for me to believe that account activation is possible without an valid HC number. :facepalm: Please wait for the admin to respond.

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Is there an updated driver or a different driver I could try?
Problem is not with a driver. It's your cable that vcds see as a fake and is doing it's stuff to make a pirate unhappy.

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
The interface in the pictures is 100% not one sourced from Ross-Tech.
- Ross-Tech never put a software version number on the interface as their interfaces work with the latest version
- All genuine interfaces from the HUC onwards have a printed serial number on the label
- Ross-Tech don't use black screws

I guess it's probably a cloned one then. At the time I got it it was from what I thought was an official site and I paid a fair bit of money for it.

I will wait for admin to confirm what is going on with the HC number and will buy a real one.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
I guess it's probably a cloned one then. At the time I got it it was from what I thought was an official site and I paid a fair bit of money for it.

I will wait for admin to confirm what is going on with the HC number and will buy a real one.

Have you taken any Auto-Scans with that interface when it was working?
If you've used it successfully on a recent version of the software they will have auto-saved in the C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Scans folder on your PC.
If so, find the most recent one and post the contents on here.

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Unfortunately I haven't used it for a year or two and formatted my laptop trying to get it working so I don't have any auto-scans.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's hard for me to believe that account activation is possible without an valid HC number. :facepalm: Please wait for the admin to respond.
Sometimes the admin here makes mistakes. With ~23,500 users having been checked one at a time as they joined, some errors were bound to happen.

-Uwe-

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
Where is "here"? Check your records please.

The interface you posted pictures of is unquestionably a fake.

Legitimate ones are available directly from us:
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS

... Or from any of our authorized resellers:
http://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php#au

Let us know if/when you get one and we'll adjust your forum status.

-Uwe-

By "here" I meant from Ross-tech, but based on what you guys have said it clearly isn't a Ross-tech cable so I must be mistaken.

Thanks for the info, I will order a legit one.

edmands_3

Unverified
-----------
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/IP
To be honest I don't even really know why I ended up with the cable I have given that I have never owned a VAG car. I originally had an old cable I got given with a Triumph race bike and was having problems with drivers and software. Ended up finding a site through Google which I thought was legit and included the software and everything but was obviously selling fakes.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Ended up finding a site through Google which I thought was legit and included the software and everything but was obviously selling fakes.
Any site that includes English VCDS software on a CD is almost certainly selling fakes - there is no need to include English VCDS on a CD as it's free to download updates from the Ross-Tech website as long as you own a genuine cable.

Back