Thread: What year upto will the v2 USB interface work on?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

What year upto will the v2 USB interface work on?

My current hex can usb cable states"not supported" when plugged into a 2019 audi, so I'm thinking of upgrading..... I don't want buy a cable to then find out, I need a different one in a couple of years time as this won't work then.......

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who can know what VW will come up with in the future?

3. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have never been (and still aren't) in a position to guarantee hardware compatibility (or software functionality) on cars that don't exist yet (or cars such as the Mk.8 and ID series) that we haven't been able to test on yet.

So right now, all we can promise on for a HEX-V2 is that it works with all models that you can buy at a VAG dealership right now.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

5. Likes PetrolDave, Joco, downtime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There has been talk that new mqb-evo(Golf8) won't function outside VW tools anymore with Diag-lock.

So we never know before it is out.
    I am a VW Freak - Le WV Freaks OR Come visit me at my work with ODIS concerns - FORSS ODIS GeKo/FaZit access for VW/AUDI/Škoda
    The world is my oyster...

7. Likes downtime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by golfi_vend View Post
    There has been talk that new mqb-evo(Golf8) won't function outside VW tools anymore with Diag-lock.

So we never know before it is out.
    I can't LIKE that post, but it's true. We've never know what VAG will do in some future model. In 2001, they surprised us first with KWP-2000 and then with a second K-line. In 2003, they starting requiring a direct CAN bus connection instead of K-Line for diagnostics in some models. In 2007, they started replacing in their older protocols and fixed numbering scheme for channels with the UDS protocol and ASAM data. In 2016 they added DoIP to some cars (but it's not yet mandatory to use it). Now there is talk of CAN-FD, and Security Gateways...

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 01-05-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all reply guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like all high tech devices /systems they're bound to need replacing sometime, BUT take a look at the record of Ross-Tech...

I've been a customer for around 15 years and only ever needed 2 cables; a HEX-CAN and a HEX-NET. In the same period of time, despite lots of "impossible" upgrades myself, I'm on my 6th PC.

12. Likes Bruce, Uwe, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    BUT take a look at the record of Ross-Tech...
    As they say in the financial industry:

"Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results"

I would be very happy if the current generation of interfaces was compatible with as many future model years of cars as the HEX+CAN ended up being when it was introduced in 2004. We got roughly a dozen years out of it before we started running into compatibility issues (and a lack of space for further enhancements to the code in the MCU), but I'm sure not in a position to promise that.

-Uwe-

14. Likes PetrolDave liked this post