What year upto will the v2 USB interface work on?

vw754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=52227
My current hex can usb cable states"not supported" when plugged into a 2019 audi, so I'm thinking of upgrading..... I don't want buy a cable to then find out, I need a different one in a couple of years time as this won't work then.......

Jacek

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=360566
Who can know what VW will come up with in the future?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
We have never been (and still aren't) in a position to guarantee hardware compatibility (or software functionality) on cars that don't exist yet (or cars such as the Mk.8 and ID series) that we haven't been able to test on yet.

So right now, all we can promise on for a HEX-V2 is that it works with all models that you can buy at a VAG dealership right now.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
There has been talk that new mqb-evo(Golf8) won't function outside VW tools anymore with Diag-lock.

So we never know before it is out.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There has been talk that new mqb-evo(Golf8) won't function outside VW tools anymore with Diag-lock.

So we never know before it is out.
I can't LIKE that post, but it's true. We've never know what VAG will do in some future model. In 2001, they surprised us first with KWP-2000 and then with a second K-line. In 2003, they starting requiring a direct CAN bus connection instead of K-Line for diagnostics in some models. In 2007, they started replacing in their older protocols and fixed numbering scheme for channels with the UDS protocol and ASAM data. In 2016 they added DoIP to some cars (but it's not yet mandatory to use it). Now there is talk of CAN-FD, and Security Gateways...

-Uwe-

Last edited:

vw754

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=52227
Thanks for all reply guys.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Like all high tech devices /systems they're bound to need replacing sometime, BUT take a look at the record of Ross-Tech...

I've been a customer for around 15 years and only ever needed 2 cables; a HEX-CAN and a HEX-NET. In the same period of time, despite lots of "impossible" upgrades myself, I'm on my 6th PC.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
BUT take a look at the record of Ross-Tech...
As they say in the financial industry:

"Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results" ;)

I would be very happy if the current generation of interfaces was compatible with as many future model years of cars as the HEX+CAN ended up being when it was introduced in 2004. We got roughly a dozen years out of it before we started running into compatibility issues (and a lack of space for further enhancements to the code in the MCU), but I'm sure not in a position to promise that.

-Uwe-

Back