Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Parking Brake - VCDS not working ?!

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    ...but your interface isn't - and the licence for the software is stored in and verified from the interface.

Please have a look here for where to obtain a genuine one, then we may help you.
    Now I understand - got you - thank you

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Not doing this electronically destroys the electronic parking brake - you have to retract the electronic parking brake first and then use a piston tool to make space for the brake pads etc. Google explains why if it helps.
    That is bullshit. I did full brake job to my Tig few months back and I did NOT use VCDS for anything. Retracted the parking brake with the button, pushed the piston with the piston tool and changed discs and pads. Everything is still working after 4 months.

Now tell me exactly how it destroys the parking brake as you seem to know it so well? And Google tells you lots of different things that have no connection to reality whatsoever.

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorted - my friend has a genuine cable and software and it worked straight away with no issues!!!

Love VCDS!!!

Unverified
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    That is bullshit. I did full brake job to my Tig few months back and I did NOT use VCDS for anything. Retracted the parking brake with the button, pushed the piston with the piston tool and changed discs and pads. Everything is still working after 4 months.

Now tell me exactly how it destroys the parking brake as you seem to know it so well? And Google tells you lots of different things that have no connection to reality whatsoever.
    On my Golf Mk7 the hand brake is automatically switched on as soon as the engine is turned off, I’d rather not die of carbon monoxide poisoning by leaving the engine running and instead prefer follow the process that 1000s have suggested on YouTube and the like (including variations such as put a power supply directly to the EPB and reverse polarity, or take the thing apart and manually rewind the spindle)

Also ir you push the piston against the parking brake you will find it supremely difficult to use the piston rewind tool and would most likely knacker up the inner workings if you put too much force on the tool (there is a screw in the epb which interfaces with the piston - you are effectively pushing against that).

I’m sure your method is amazing, so worthwhile sharing on YouTube so others can benefit from your wisdom...as they have all being doing it wrong, but magically you haven’t...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have to be an idiot.

If you would care to read the manual it clearly states you can disengage the EPB by turning on ignition (not starting the car) and by pressing brake and pressing the EPB button. Remember to disable autohold as it will engage the EPB again after you turn off ignition. This is how I did it.

Also another method that works is that before shutting the engine, press the EPB button and keep it pressed for 3 secs. It will disable automatic EPB engagement.

If you start to fuck around other people make sure your own ass is covered before you do.
    Last edited by downtime; 01-04-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why donít you just release the parking brake from the button inside? Thereís no black art VCDS will bring to this. Youíll still need the twistable piston tool to push the piston inside.
    The black art is that when you retract the EPB with VCDS, you will NOT need a twistable piston tool. It fully opens the parking brake and after that, you can push the piston in with anything you want, even by hand if piston is not seized.

Yes, a tool which rotates piston while pushing it also works, but I myself find it much easier to first use VCDS to open the brake.

At least this is how it works in Audi A3 8V and I believe that Golf VII has quite similar EPB.

7. Likes downtime, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ You are exactly correct here. If you try to force the piston back it will break the EPB motor but with piston tool that twists no issues.

The question what the ”doubting Thomas” took up here is that can you do the change without VCDS and the answer is yes you can, but you’ll need the proper tools like with everything.
    The VCDS nor any other VAG diagnostic tool is not a mandatory requirement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ^The question what the ”doubting Thomas” took up here is that can you do the change without VCDS and the answer is yes you can, but you’ll need the proper tools like with everything.
    The VCDS nor any other VAG diagnostic tool is not a mandatory requirement.
    Is this true even on earlier cars? Somehow, I'm skeptical of that.

Heck, on the very first EPBs (4E A8) you had to enter the thickness of the new pads in an Adaptation Channel. I don't think you can do that without a scan-tool. And you sure as heck can't do the grinding-in process needed when you replace the rotors on a 7P Touareg without a scan tool either.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes PetrolDave, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those cars have completely different brake saddle constuction. For example Touareg has more than one piston in the saddle and I’m pretty sure the bigger Audis have the same. Single piston method naturally won’t work there.

The question here was merely on MQB car to which I was replying.

Anyway, good clarification Uwe that there are differences between different platforms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those cars have completely different brake saddle constuction. For example Touareg has more than one piston in the saddle and I’m pretty sure the bigger Audis have the same. Single piston method naturally won’t work there.

The question here was merely on MQB car to which I was replying.
    Thanks for clarifying. Stuff like this is here "forever" and could easily me mis-interpreted (over-generalized) by people reading it in the future.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

13. Likes downtime, Jack@European_Parts liked this post