VW Caddy ABS ESP MK60EC1 Module recoding not working

Merlyn

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this forum and all things VCDS.

I have a confirmed ABS Module fault in a VW Caddy Maxi Life 1.6 TDI RHD Manual. Purchased a used replacement from a reputable parts recycler in UK. Same part number (with the exception of the last 2 letters).

I have read on other threads here that a difference in the last two letters should be ok but have also read conflicting views on this.

I have replaced the faulty module with the new module (including pump), bled the brakes manually and subsequently took the vehicle to a friendly mechanic with verified VCDS.

Old module was plugged in briefly to read/copy the long code (19 BYTES), reconnected new module but the new module will not accept same code.

I'm now at the cross roads of, 1. Can this be done with VCDS? or 2. Do I need to cut my losses and find the correct part (ending BH)/ try again? 3. Send off original module/ pump for repair and hopefully just re-install (if that can be done)

Some more info:
Vin: WV2ZZZ2KZCX091671

Original Part - 1K0 907 379 BH
Original Long Code:
633C600D092B03FBC61106EB901AC081300000

Replacement Part - 1K0 907 379 BM (ESP MK60EC1 H46 0164)
Long Code:

Questions (if this procedure is possible):

1. In VCDS for the MK60EC1, does the long code just need entering in the 'Coding -07' section
2. Does the long code need adapting to suit the 1K0 907 379 BM Module (read that the 'BM' module may be 20 BYTES instead of 19 BYTES so additional '00' needed or adaptation needed?)

I don't have copy of the vehicle scan but I'm sure I could get a copy from the my mechanic if required.

Firstly, I just want to know if recoding this used replacement ABS module is actually possible as I've already spent many hours on this with no success. I really hope it can be.

Many thanks,
John

Merlyn

Reaction score

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
A part number includes the letters on the end. If the letters on the end are different, it's a different part. Just because the letters are "higher", doesn't mean the part is compatible with your old part.

You do not necessarily need one with the same letters on the end. Sometimes parts are superseded. The right way to figure out what parts are compatible is to have a dealer (or someone else with access to an official parts catalog) check by VIN, or put in the original part number and go through the chain of supersession. Use only part numbers that are in that chain, and your best option is to use the part number that's listed as the current replacement; it's likely to be the most reliable.

-Uwe-

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
Please provide us full unedited autoscan. We might be able to help You out to recode current ABS too, but we want confirmation of legal VCDS first.

Reactions: Uwe

Merlyn

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I've actually found a printed copy of the VCDS scan (10 pages) that was handed to me yesterday with the old ABS unit. But it's the scan with the 'BM' ABS unit not the original 'BH'. Perhaps I could scan and share here via dropbox? I don't have a soft copy of the .txt file but I could ask my mechanic to email it to me if that's preferred.

Re the original ABS unit, after reading the feedback here this am, I decided to send away to ecutesting.com as they can attempt to repair the original unit (worth a try in my view vs the cost of a new OEM ABS module)

Genuinally intrigued by this coding issue, and whilst I've admitted defeat with the installed 'BM' ABS part, I'm at least able to use the van (albeit with risk) whilst the original unit can be hopefully repaired. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who can prove outright if the 'BM' part isn't compatible to Uwe's point - at this stage I've convinced myself it isn't compatible but if someone was able to provide some hope and I understood why/ how, that would be amazing.

I can see how VCDS could become quite an interesting hobby (for the grey matter)

I've scanned the paper copy of the VCDS scan here:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtmyMC_xHvAOgis99A3EKQ0XzSul?e=X7HEw8

Last edited:
Back