Thread: Module Software Updates

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

Module Software Updates

Hi all.
    Firstly thank you to this forum and it's members that have helped me, unknowingly, with information to slowly diagnose my Audi's tantrums.

I'm convinced enough that I need the VCDS software however I've a question. Will I be able to update modules in the car?

Long background story as to why I ask. I've been getting an intermittent 03549 - Terminal 15 Locking active. Its often been accompanied by an 03423 - Vehicle Position System Interface Module - No Communication. This started happening at 4:30 on 23rd December with my alarm waking me up and my battery drained. I assumed flat battery but didn't expect this rabbit hole. Car ran great for a week, then reoccurred. Fixed by unhooking the battery and reconnecting several times. Including the voltage stabiliser in a certain order, car returned to life. Over new year I haven't used it. Came back to it, and it's back again
    My new battery is now flat also so the problem hasn't gone away. I've changed the Terminal 15 relay and we've also bridged the pins to power on the car but this still didn't allow the ignition to come on but did give plenty of "Terminal 15 Implausible" on multiple modules, which I assume is T15 getting power without the security systems say so. This also caused component protection to come on in the MMI which will clear when the ignition comes on. If it comes on

On this forum I found an Audi TPI 2026474 that states the module causing 03549, in my case 8K0 907 440 B, needs a software update to stop the random occurrence of 03549.
    There's also a follow up TPI which I found upon further digging 2027818. The latter TPI references the Pr-7I0 system, not the Pr-7G9 system
    Upon following up my 03423 of no communication. I hunted down the module and found it was full of water. It's been pulled, replacement ordered. However this will need the software update. I have the SVM for the J393 Module to do this if VCDS can indeed do it. I'm just hoping the shorts, if any, haven't done any damage. In the meantime I'm cleaning up the plug for the module and trying to find the source of water intrusion in such a well covered area.

And of course Happy New Year folks

Andy

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    To get help on this forum you first have to post a full autoscan, so we know what hardware is in the car...
    Golf VII, 1.6TDI BM Ed. 40 - 110 PK

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple answer - VCDS cannot update the software on your ECUs.

That would be a job for a stealership, or possibly a tool with pass-through capabilities and a paid subscription to VAG to get the update files.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

4. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe, Santos, downtime liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The update files are free. Just requires registration to Erwin.

6. Likes Mike@Gendan, MasterTommy, PetrolDave liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Appreciate your time

Mari - I will struggle as I dont own VCDS yet, hence my post in pre-sales section of the forum. My question doesn't require a full scan of the car. I justneed someone with knowledge of VCDS to tell me if it can update a module

Mike@Gendan - The module in question doesn't often pop up. Address 30 - Special Function 2. I understand this module is security based so I wont find much information in public.

Downtime - I'm a subscribed member of the ErWin site so can get the update files, but can't get them into the car at present (modern tech eh) I thought VCDS would be my answer

It's occured to me, I may also need this module coding but again security module, no available info. May be a full dealership journey

Post Thanks / Like
    VCDS cannot update the software of modules, what it can do (where VAG allow it in their software) change the coding and configuration of the software in the module - as well as reading and clearing fault codes of course.

So if YOU want to update the module software, not change its settings, then you need to look elsewhere. As this forum is run by the developers of VCDS (Ross-Tech) then asking about that other tool here would be inappropriate.

9. Likes Uwe liked this post