Module Software Updates

AndyGH701

Reaction score
Hi all.
Firstly thank you to this forum and it's members that have helped me, unknowingly, with information to slowly diagnose my Audi's tantrums.

I'm convinced enough that I need the VCDS software however I've a question. Will I be able to update modules in the car?

Long background story as to why I ask. I've been getting an intermittent 03549 - Terminal 15 Locking active. Its often been accompanied by an 03423 - Vehicle Position System Interface Module - No Communication. This started happening at 4:30 on 23rd December with my alarm waking me up and my battery drained. I assumed flat battery but didn't expect this rabbit hole. Car ran great for a week, then reoccurred. Fixed by unhooking the battery and reconnecting several times. Including the voltage stabiliser in a certain order, car returned to life. Over new year I haven't used it. Came back to it, and it's back again
My new battery is now flat also so the problem hasn't gone away. I've changed the Terminal 15 relay and we've also bridged the pins to power on the car but this still didn't allow the ignition to come on but did give plenty of "Terminal 15 Implausible" on multiple modules, which I assume is T15 getting power without the security systems say so. This also caused component protection to come on in the MMI which will clear when the ignition comes on. If it comes on

On this forum I found an Audi TPI 2026474 that states the module causing 03549, in my case 8K0 907 440 B, needs a software update to stop the random occurrence of 03549.
There's also a follow up TPI which I found upon further digging 2027818. The latter TPI references the Pr-7I0 system, not the Pr-7G9 system
Upon following up my 03423 of no communication. I hunted down the module and found it was full of water. It's been pulled, replacement ordered. However this will need the software update. I have the SVM for the J393 Module to do this if VCDS can indeed do it. I'm just hoping the shorts, if any, haven't done any damage. In the meantime I'm cleaning up the plug for the module and trying to find the source of water intrusion in such a well covered area.

And of course Happy New Year folks

Andy

Mari

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=150535
To get help on this forum you first have to post a full autoscan, so we know what hardware is in the car...

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Simple answer - VCDS cannot update the software on your ECUs.

That would be a job for a stealership, or possibly a tool with pass-through capabilities and a paid subscription to VAG to get the update files.

AndyGH701

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate your time

Mari - I will struggle as I dont own VCDS yet, hence my post in pre-sales section of the forum. My question doesn't require a full scan of the car. I justneed someone with knowledge of VCDS to tell me if it can update a module

Mike@Gendan - The module in question doesn't often pop up. Address 30 - Special Function 2. I understand this module is security based so I wont find much information in public.

Downtime - I'm a subscribed member of the ErWin site so can get the update files, but can't get them into the car at present (modern tech eh) I thought VCDS would be my answer

It's occured to me, I may also need this module coding but again security module, no available info. May be a full dealership journey

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
VCDS cannot update the software of modules, what it can do (where VAG allow it in their software) change the coding and configuration of the software in the module - as well as reading and clearing fault codes of course.

So if YOU want to update the module software, not change its settings, then you need to look elsewhere. As this forum is run by the developers of VCDS (Ross-Tech) then asking about that other tool here would be inappropriate.

Reactions: Uwe

Raja1

Reaction score
Hi @
AndyGH701

Did you manage to resolve this issue as have the same problem? if yes please guide me too , my audi a7 not starting gives me same error.

MrMeeseeks

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
LP/SN
Hi @
AndyGH701

Did you manage to resolve this issue as have the same problem? if yes please guide me too , my audi a7 not starting gives me same error.
First, post an Autoscan

davisev5225

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263265
The update files are free. Just requires registration to Erwin.

I'd love to know where you're seeing that. The only free resource I see is the "special tools information" section. Everything else requires a subscription, and the vehicle diagnostic section (which I presume contains the software updates) requires doing the whole "independent workshop" additional registration & verification routine.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
I'd love to know where you're seeing that. The only free resource I see is the "special tools information" section. Everything else requires a subscription, and the vehicle diagnostic section (which I presume contains the software updates) requires doing the whole "independent workshop" additional registration & verification routine.
This was 4 years ago I gave the reply, so good job here :) That time they were still free. Not anymore unfortunately. Only authorized workshops have access to flash files, rest need to use other channels.

• Informative
Reactions: Uwe

davisev5225

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=263265
This was 4 years ago I gave the reply, so good job here :) That time they were still free. Not anymore unfortunately. Only authorized workshops have access to flash files, rest need to use other channels.

Yeah, I knew it was a long shot because of how old your original reply was. Good to know I'm not crazy and VW/Audi are just being greedy at this point. :cry:

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813
Yeah, I knew it was a long shot because of how old your original reply was. Good to know I'm not crazy and VW/Audi are just being greedy at this point. :cry:
Yes, you're not crazy :D And yes VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat, they're greedy and what I've got to know from some latest developments in their online access, they're just getting greedier.
It's getting very difficult for people to repair their own cars :(

I sent you PM

Back