Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Audi A8 Relay for Ride-Height Compressor Mechanical Failure

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is also another fuse apart from the 40A one. Smaller one in the same rear fuse block. Really need to have a good look through the full wiring diagrams
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Power Tailgate, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds, Electric Steering Column, LED Sill Plates, Ambient Lighting Pack, High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like

There is also another fuse apart from the 40A one. Smaller one in the same rear fuse block. Really need to have a good look through the full wiring diagrams
    I think more than one other fuse huh?
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 12-26-2019 at 04:22 AM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up towing her to Audi, who's been baffled too since every time they called me for next step I told them "been there done that". They called me today and are determined that the old compressor caused the issue, and the new after market is doing something to throw the control module for a loop. OE compressor will be in tomorrow so we shall see.

I know Jack, always buy original, but you know how many Mercedes strippers I can get for that money!?

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up towing her to Audi, who's been baffled too since every time they called me for next step I told them "been there done that". They called me today and are determined that the old compressor caused the issue, and the new after market is doing something to throw the control module for a loop. OE compressor will be in tomorrow so we shall see.

I know Jack, always buy original, but you know how many Mercedes strippers I can get for that money!?

Don't you think the alleged compressor prognosis is total bullshit and because the relay resistance is what is being measured by the suspension electronics?

If it was as they allege couldn't you fake out with resistor or decade box to qualify that speculation real fast?

Don't strippers come in different levels of quality for the money?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected after suspecting the diagnosis to be bullshit as well waiting for a call to throw more parts at it. After silence I assumed they are banging their heads against the wall too, but part showed up this morning and just picked her up from the dealer standing tall.

He explained to me that the old and aftermarket compressor were indeed getting power and tried to pressurize the shocks, but could not produce sufficient pressure to fill the them due to an "internal pinch?" whatever that means. After a few seconds the shocks would sense no pressure build up initiating the "relay mechanical failure" thinking the compressor was not running, and after the module tried to send power to the compressor a few times with the same results it would go into "Function Shut-Off Active".

Still don't know what to do with this explanation as I couldn't hear the compressor try at all unless I fed power to it manually or closed the relay. Also looking at the fault codes the time stamps are reversed with the shut off going first, then the relay mechanical failure. I guess morale of the story since it actually fixed the problem, if all your electric looks good throw a genuine compressor at it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected after suspecting the diagnosis to be bullshit as well waiting for a call to throw more parts at it. After silence I assumed they are banging their heads against the wall too, but part showed up this morning and just picked her up from the dealer standing tall.

He explained to me that the old and aftermarket compressor were indeed getting power and tried to pressurize the shocks, but could not produce sufficient pressure to fill the them due to an "internal pinch?" whatever that means. After a few seconds the shocks would sense no pressure build up initiating the "relay mechanical failure" thinking the compressor was not running, and after the module tried to send power to the compressor a few times with the same results it would go into "Function Shut-Off Active".

Still don't know what to do with this explanation as I couldn't hear the compressor try at all unless I fed power to it manually or closed the relay. Also looking at the fault codes the time stamps are reversed with the shut off going first, then the relay mechanical failure. I guess morale of the story since it actually fixed the problem, if all your electric looks good throw a genuine compressor at it?
    Still Sounds like bullshit to me, how about you? ................

Did you ask them to put that in writing on RO and show you the pinch and explain it?

Did they do a wire repair or a quick wire repair and get time to replace + sell a compressor?

Did you ask them to unplug the compressor air line output and simulate and show that fault DTC appear to duplicate such malarkey?

Does this link below help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 01-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did ask for further explanation on the pinch but the tech wasn't there at the time since he couldn't explain it and honestly at that point I was just happy to get my functioning A8 back.

It did indeed sound like bullshit and still drove me crazy so I put her on the lift this morning to take a closer look. It is indeed a brand new Audi compressor and valve block which I thought wasn't on the invoice but also listed. I looked at the wiring harnesses and visible wires and there does not appear to be any repairs done. Invoice shows compressor, valve block, diag + R&R of 2.5h total.

The valve block was severely discounted which seemed to bother me and add to questioning the compressor diag. So while I was still baffled never having problems with aftermarket compressors on other cars I did put the aftermarket compressor back on and it did indeed instantly reproduce the problem. Instead of a pinch, only more reasonable theory and explanation I can come up with is the resistance value from the actual compressor read by the module making it think it's the resistance at the relay level.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would not be the first time I have seen a resistance value used to circumvent an aftermarket supplier part to create a proprietary market protection, however, if that is the case, than wouldn't that supplier be on hook for all additional repairs now wouldn't they if reported to NHTSA?

Also If VAG is allegedly indicating a false fault code, do you think that might also be deemed in spirit of unfair safe repair competition and if you could prove it, it might be considered a violation of the Safe Act huh and maybe worthy of a complaint to FTC too?

Do I hear class action in distance maybe?