Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warranty issue

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you know that in the USA for example, you tick off a attribute in gateway in long coding, the OEM automatically change it back via SVM if a safety system and make a ref for void of warranty on that related part if it was covered for tampering?

Did you know hold back money is sometimes with incentive for dealers to get consumers admittedly signing off on a modified car and warranty being voided?

Isn't it self evident that retrofits and tweaks depending on how a car is certified for conformity in a specific region of the planet may indeed be a tricky dick move for dealers to shove it in your ass & if it can be documented?

Better save your auto-scans huh?
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 12-17-2019 at 07:58 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Did you know that in the USA for example, you tick off a attribute in gateway in long coding, the OEM automatically change it back via SVM if a safety system and make a ref for void of warranty on that related part if it was covered for tampering?

Did you know hold back money is sometimes with incentive for dealers to get consumers admittedly signing off on a modified car and warranty being voided?
    Jack: No - I didn't know. As I said- (some) dealer's morals reside deep below those of whale turds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Isn't it self evident that retrofits and tweaks depending on how a car is certified for conformity in a specific region of the planet may indeed be a tricky dick move for dealers to shove it in your ass & if it can be documented?

Better save your auto-scans huh?
    Jack: what a unique turn-of-phrase? I do like the way that you translate thought to words!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had done a tweak of using the fog lights as coming home leaving home, and when it went in for service, the buggers changed it back to using headlights.

No mention of anything, as other mods include activating heater fan display, and coming home lights on door opening rather than flashing the headlight stalk.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS Modifications (which?) that Potentiallly Affect my Car's Warranty

After reading this and other threads relating to VCDS modifications and the potential affect on my carís warranty- itís got me a bit concerned.

Also see
    "Warranty Keys" (https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?18508-Warranty-Keys-Facts-TD1-etc)

Iíll soon be delivering my 2019 VW to the Dealership for the scheduled 1-year/10k m service. Iíve done allot adaptations and even a few long-code modifications Ė all working fantastically I should add. Iím sure Iíll be lectured by some, but I did know what I was doing, I accept full responsibility and Iím prepared for whatever happens Ė Iíd just like to avoid any unnecessary problems with my dealership and VAG if possible.

Iíve rollback all modifications to the modulesí factory long-coding - this necessitated rolling back a few adaptations as well to resolve some resulting communications faults. I left (many) adaptations in place, causing no faults and donít affect the modulesí factory coding. The rollback wasnít hard to accomplish - Iíve kept good logs over the past year. However, it was time consuming and Iím still not sure my adaptations/modifications wonít be detected automatically by VAG scans in spite of my efforts; or for that matter, the exercise was technically necessary in the first place to protect my warranty or avoid ďWarranty KeysĒ based on the type of modifications.

Any experience, advice, comments, pleaseÖ

Thanks,

TW
    2019 Atlas SEL-R FWD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Much depends on the dealer.

I took a 2018 VW to a dealer early in the fall for its 10k/1-year service and I don't think they ever hooked it up. I do have a few VCDS mods to it, alhough they're not as extensive as what some people do. But one of them might be considered more objectionable (start/stop is disabled). Dealer didn't say a word. In fact, I'm not terribly confident the ever even connected their scan tool to that car; it came back to me with just as many fault codes as it had when I gave it to them. (FWIW, I've never cleared faults in it either; they're useful for software testing, and many of them pre-date me taking delivery of the vehicle the year prior).

Anyway, unless you've got specific deficiencies you want the dealer to address, or there are explicit recall or campaign actions, the 10k/1-year service is basically "Change the oil, check the fluids and the tire pressure, and send the customer on his way." Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, nor would (or did) I revert any VCDS mods.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes PetrolDave, darkchina811 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Nothing to worry about'...got it!
    2019 Atlas SEL-R FWD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TWs/VW View Post
    'Nothing to worry about'...got it!
    Again, it depends on the dealer and the nature of the work being done on the car.

If you go to get a blown engine or transmission fixed or replaced under warranty and your ECU or TCU is "tuned", you're probably gonna have a bad time.

If you got to have some issue with central locking or power windows looked at, it would probably make sense to have your BCM settings (coding and adaptation channels) with stock values in them.

If you know there are active campaigns for software updates to things, then it's pretty certain that the dealer will run a full-up SVM session on your car. This will spot and likely "correct" any changes that you have made. But the service writer should tell you about open campaigns when you bring your car in and you can certainly decline them.

If you're just taking it in for an oil change, you've probably got nothing to worry about.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I donít need any work done; no fault codes present; no software updates pending that Iím aware of; there is however a current campaign regarding Front Sunroof Drain Cleaning & Modification Ė basically, Iím just taking the car in because I feel itís required to maintain my warranty. This particular dealership will likely scan the vehicle (to what level, Iím not sure) and perform a free ďMulti-Point Vehicle InspectionĒ.

I appreciate your comments and Iím not as worried, but Iíll certainly let everyone know if something wired occurs. Iím a bit surprised on the other hand that there arenít more first-hand postings on this, given Mods/Tweaks have been going on for some time now and dealerships can be difficult when it comes to warranty issues.

Thanks,

TW
    2019 Atlas SEL-R FWD

11. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I coded some features into my loaner car VW gave me while they were doing warranty work on my personal vehicle. I showed what I did to the service advisor and he thought it was super cool and told me to not change it back to factory lol. Although, this is the same dealer that got my car covered under warranty even though it was tuned.
    2013 CSG Golf GTI 4dr: Integrated Engineering Stage 1 ECU, DSG w/ IE Tune, APR Carbon Intake, Sunroof, RNS-510, AFS Bi-Xenons, R20 LED Tails, Euro Alarm siren, Climatic, Euro Rear Footwell lights, Euro door exit warning lights, Euro mirror puddle lights, Clear Side markers, RLS, RVC, Euro Adaptive Lighting, Euro High Beam Assist (FLA) and Euro Headlight Washers

13. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZNormT6 View Post
    I coded some features into my loaner car VW gave me while they were doing warranty work on my personal vehicle. I showed what I did to the service advisor and he thought it was super cool and told me to not change it back to factory lol. Although, this is the same dealer that got my car covered under warranty even though it was tuned.
    Some dealers are cooler than others.

-Uwe-

15. Likes PetrolDave, ZNormT6 liked this post