Warranty issue

samridh

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=336220
I HAVE DONE CERTAIN TWEAKS ON MY AUDI A6 WHILE GETTING CAR SERVICE AUDI DEALER DETECTED TWEAKS ON THERE SOFTWARE AND WARNED ME IT WILL VOID MY WARRANTY I WANTED TO ASK IF I RESTORE ALL TWEAKS TO ORIGINAL FACTORY SETTING BEFORE SENDING CAR TO DEALER NEXT TIME WILL THEY THEN ALSO ABLE TO DETECT THE SAME. PLEASE HELP

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?

Also, I have never heard of any tweak voiding the warranty, but that's just my two cents. I don't know, what you expect. In what way could anyone help you?

samridh

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=336220
warranty issue

I HAVE DONE CERTAIN TWEAKS ON MY AUDI A6 WHILE GETTING CAR SERVICE AUDI DEALER DETECTED TWEAKS ON THERE SOFTWARE AND WARNED ME IT WILL VOID MY WARRANTY I WANTED TO ASK IF I RESTORE ALL TWEAKS TO ORIGINAL FACTORY SETTING BEFORE SENDING CAR TO DEALER NEXT TIME WILL THEY THEN ALSO ABLE TO DETECT THE SAME. PLEASE HELP

samridh

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=336220
I WANTED TO KNOW IF I RESET THE TWEAKS TO ORIGINAL WILL AUDI SOFTWARE ABLE TO DETECT THE MODS DONE BEFORE

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Why are you yelling & why do you think anyone here would conspire to commit, aid and abed warranty or insurance contract future fraud?

If you modify your car or tamper it why would you not take responsibility for those changes unless granted permission by the OEM?

Ever JPPSG?

Not sure what the laws are in the land of "adulterated" India, however, here some warranties are resistant to being voidable, such as for example "useful life", did you know that?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

Reactions: psu

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can they detect coding and adaptation changes from the stock configuration? Sure.

Will they void your warranty for it? Not in any country that has reasonable laws regarding warranties. Dunno about India.

-Uwe-

PS: Please try to un-stick the CAPS LOCK key on your keyboard.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^Uwe, I think OP is asking whether if he/she? reverts tweak values back to their factory values (presumably before the car is taken to the Audi dealer) - can the dealer detect that the channels/long-code settings have been altered and then changed-back?

The short answer is NO (@sam- note the capitol letters) - there is no in-built record-keeping mechanism that I'm aware-of that monitors changes in these values (unlike changes to module firmware where there is a counter)

As for warranty - I've had personal experience with a dealer down here that tried to argue that a tweak negated warranty. My role in this dispute was to accompany a friend in his discussions with the service manager. But the dealer's position was flawed from the outset because the tweak involved changes to the car's lighting (Leuchte-set modification) and the fault was related to the ABS module. A tenuous proposition at best by said service manager - which was quickly diffused and the module replaced at no cost to the customer.

Moral of the story - the morals of some unscrupulous dealers (not all dealers) are lower than whale turds -they prey on the ill-informed and vulnerable!!!

Don

Last edited:

Hawkeye9723

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389466
When would a dealer actually check and see that coding has been changed? For example, would they check it when I bring my VW in for it's scheduled maintenance?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When would a dealer actually check and see that coding has been changed? For example, would they check it when I bring my VW in for it's scheduled maintenance?
If they do a complete scan, there may be a script that compares the codings and such to the record of what they "should" be on the corporate server. They generally don't do that for during regular maintenance, but if you have some major problem under warranty that they can't figure out easily and would cost them a lot to fix, then they might.

-Uwe-

samridh

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=336220
thanks dv52 this was exactly what i was looking for thanks for understanding.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Did you know that in the USA for example, you tick off a attribute in gateway in long coding, the OEM automatically change it back via SVM if a safety system and make a ref for void of warranty on that related part if it was covered for tampering?

Did you know hold back money is sometimes with incentive for dealers to get consumers admittedly signing off on a modified car and warranty being voided?

Isn't it self evident that retrofits and tweaks depending on how a car is certified for conformity in a specific region of the planet may indeed be a tricky dick move for dealers to shove it in your ass & if it can be documented?

Better save your auto-scans huh?

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Did you know that in the USA for example, you tick off a attribute in gateway in long coding, the OEM automatically change it back via SVM if a safety system and make a ref for void of warranty on that related part if it was covered for tampering?

Did you know hold back money is sometimes with incentive for dealers to get consumers admittedly signing off on a modified car and warranty being voided?

Jack: No - I didn't know. As I said- (some) dealer's morals reside deep below those of whale turds!!

Isn't it self evident that retrofits and tweaks depending on how a car is certified for conformity in a specific region of the planet may indeed be a tricky dick move for dealers to shove it in your ass & if it can be documented?

Better save your auto-scans huh?

Jack: what a unique turn-of-phrase? I do like the way that you translate thought to words!!

Don

jasons6930

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=304798
I had done a tweak of using the fog lights as coming home leaving home, and when it went in for service, the buggers changed it back to using headlights.

No mention of anything, as other mods include activating heater fan display, and coming home lights on door opening rather than flashing the headlight stalk.

:D

TWs/VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369048
VCDS Modifications (which?) that Potentiallly Affect my Car's Warranty

After reading this and other threads relating to VCDS modifications and the potential affect on my car’s warranty- it’s got me a bit concerned.

Also see
"Warranty Keys" (https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?18508-Warranty-Keys-Facts-TD1-etc)

I’ll soon be delivering my 2019 VW to the Dealership for the scheduled 1-year/10k m service. I’ve done allot adaptations and even a few long-code modifications – all working fantastically I should add. I’m sure I’ll be lectured by some, but I did know what I was doing, I accept full responsibility and I’m prepared for whatever happens – I’d just like to avoid any unnecessary problems with my dealership and VAG if possible.

I’ve rollback all modifications to the modules’ factory long-coding - this necessitated rolling back a few adaptations as well to resolve some resulting communications faults. I left (many) adaptations in place, causing no faults and don’t affect the modules’ factory coding. The rollback wasn’t hard to accomplish - I’ve kept good logs over the past year. However, it was time consuming and I’m still not sure my adaptations/modifications won’t be detected automatically by VAG scans in spite of my efforts; or for that matter, the exercise was technically necessary in the first place to protect my warranty or avoid “Warranty Keys” based on the type of modifications.

Any experience, advice, comments, please…

Thanks,

TW

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Much depends on the dealer.

I took a 2018 VW to a dealer early in the fall for its 10k/1-year service and I don't think they ever hooked it up. I do have a few VCDS mods to it, alhough they're not as extensive as what some people do. But one of them might be considered more objectionable (start/stop is disabled). Dealer didn't say a word. In fact, I'm not terribly confident the ever even connected their scan tool to that car; it came back to me with just as many fault codes as it had when I gave it to them. (FWIW, I've never cleared faults in it either; they're useful for software testing, and many of them pre-date me taking delivery of the vehicle the year prior).

Anyway, unless you've got specific deficiencies you want the dealer to address, or there are explicit recall or campaign actions, the 10k/1-year service is basically "Change the oil, check the fluids and the tire pressure, and send the customer on his way." Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, nor would (or did) I revert any VCDS mods.

-Uwe-

TWs/VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369048
'Nothing to worry about'...got it!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
'Nothing to worry about'...got it!
Again, it depends on the dealer and the nature of the work being done on the car.

If you go to get a blown engine or transmission fixed or replaced under warranty and your ECU or TCU is "tuned", you're probably gonna have a bad time.

If you got to have some issue with central locking or power windows looked at, it would probably make sense to have your BCM settings (coding and adaptation channels) with stock values in them.

If you know there are active campaigns for software updates to things, then it's pretty certain that the dealer will run a full-up SVM session on your car. This will spot and likely "correct" any changes that you have made. But the service writer should tell you about open campaigns when you bring your car in and you can certainly decline them.

If you're just taking it in for an oil change, you've probably got nothing to worry about.

-Uwe-

TWs/VW

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=369048
Well, I don’t need any work done; no fault codes present; no software updates pending that I’m aware of; there is however a current campaign regarding Front Sunroof Drain Cleaning & Modification – basically, I’m just taking the car in because I feel it’s required to maintain my warranty. This particular dealership will likely scan the vehicle (to what level, I’m not sure) and perform a free “Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection”.

I appreciate your comments and I’m not as worried, but I’ll certainly let everyone know if something wired occurs. I’m a bit surprised on the other hand that there aren’t more first-hand postings on this, given Mods/Tweaks have been going on for some time now and dealerships can be difficult when it comes to warranty issues.

Thanks,

TW

Reactions: Uwe

ZNormT6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319128
I coded some features into my loaner car VW gave me while they were doing warranty work on my personal vehicle. I showed what I did to the service advisor and he thought it was super cool and told me to not change it back to factory lol. Although, this is the same dealer that got my car covered under warranty even though it was tuned. :)

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I coded some features into my loaner car VW gave me while they were doing warranty work on my personal vehicle. I showed what I did to the service advisor and he thought it was super cool and told me to not change it back to factory lol. Although, this is the same dealer that got my car covered under warranty even though it was tuned. :)
Some dealers are cooler than others. :D

-Uwe-

Back