Crosswinds....

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Wow. My heart is racing just watching the vid.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
BAD flashbacks to when I got IFR/VFR certified on a VERY windy day....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hah! The day I went for my PP-SEL checkride back in late 1991 was much like that. I had no idea whether I'd passed until the the examiner signed my ticket back in the FBO. His comment was something to the effect of: Son, you're far from perfect but today was NASTY, and since I never had to land your plane for you, you're good to go. :D

That examiner was very cool. He was something like 75 years old at the time. Once of his questions was: What do you do if you accidentally stray into a TCA (now Class B) while squawking VFR? Uh, call 'em up and beg forgiveness? Hell no! You turn your transponder OFF and head for to the this tiny little airport over here that's outside the TCA. Now if they noticed you, they'll still have a primary return on you, so you fly the pattern, do a couple of touch touch & gos. They'll lose your primary every time. Then you head over to this other airport over here and do the same thing. By the time you land back at your home field, they'll never able to prove it was you. :cool:

Anyway, there's a zillion cross wind landing videos. Even dead stick landings are pretty common. But have you ever seen a dead-stick takeoff?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
LOL !

But have you ever seen a dead-stick takeoff?

When he crested the hill it reminded me of accidentally taking a double black diamond trail shortly after learning to downhill ski...

Have you two taken out a life insurance policy on me, and now are testing the strength of my heart ?? :eek: :p

Reactions: Uwe

PanEuropean

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11844
Crosswinds I can cope with. It's the missiles that are annoying.

The photo below shows the left engine (a PT6A turboprop) on the aircraft I was flying after it was struck by a missile while in flight. Take a close look at the remains of the exhaust port... then look at the second photo in the series.

Michael

The Engine

The Momento Mori

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
...on the aircraft I was flying after it was struck by a missile while in flight...

Michael, I've enjoyed your posts on VWVortex since I registered there and decided a Phaeton would be the ultimate car for me. I looked at many but bought none, because of known issues (learned from "your" forum; thank you) and "settled" for a D3 A8L.
You certainly seem to have an interesting life; but this takes the cake, as they say.
No further details?

-Tom

P.S. I, too, hate it when that happens.

"...on the aircraft I was flying after it was struck by a missile while in flight..."

Back