Chassis Type (or Typ)

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
I'm surprised at VW re-using Typ codes for their vehicles. To me, Typ 15 will always be a Mk1 Golf (or Rabbit) Convertible. However, I see in the Select Chassis drop-down they're now using it for a VW New Bora (2008>).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I suspect that's used in a market (China?) where the original never existed, but I'm not 100% certain of this.

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
I'm not old-school like the rest of you here. I prefer sticking to the concept of chassis codes where I can quickly identify "what" car a customer is referring to (especially those that may have modules that bleed-over between specific generation years). I thought the Typ code concept was just to conform with Porsche's parts catalog system.

In your example above, isn't a Bora 2008+, just a Jetta in another market, using the same basic modules, and as such should be designated with the 1K nomenclature?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In your example above, isn't a Bora 2008+, just a Jetta in another market, using the same basic modules, and as such should be designated with the 1K nomenclature?
Hard to say without seeing a scan.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also made a mess of VAG's chassis scheme when they required that the 7th digit (normally the first digit of the two-digit chassis code) be alphabetic rather than numeric to allow the 2010-2029 model year designations (in the 10th digit) to be differentiated from 1980-2009 model year designations despite the re-use of the characters in that position. This is, for example, why a 7P Touareg has "BP" in the 7th and 8th digits of the VIN in the NAR market instead of "7P".

It's possible other parts of the world have their own arcane rules?

-Uwe-

Back