Timeout error

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
For the life of me I can't figure out how to set this up for the first use. I've tried registering but it looks like I already have some sort of account. The instructions I found on this website were nothing like the options presented to me.

I don't have a windows machine. I have Java 8 installed but can't open the jar package.

I'm using iOS and can connect to the module.

I've tried to follow these directions (https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?3258-How-to-create-VCDS-Cloud-account-(IOS)) to create the VCDS-Cloud account but no matter what I do I get a red timeout error at the top of every screen.

I have 1 flashing green light and the other two are solid green so I'm sure I'm connected everywhere. The two solid green lights are on either side of the USB port. The flashing one is the outside of the two lights next to each other.

What am I doing wrong and how do I register or do whatever it is I need to do to get this to work? Getting pretty frustrated.

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
I'm now able to connect to a Windows machine.

Unit Registered
VINs Stored: 0

I'm assuming that's because I can connect to a computer and the car seems ok but I get the timeout error when trying to run anything.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
VCDS-Mobile as I'm on iOS.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What kind of car do you have the HEX-NET connected to, and is the ignition on?

-Uwe-

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
2007 VW Touareg V6

The ignition is off. Does it need to be on? I can't seem to find instructions that say one way or the other.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
2007 VW Touareg V6

The ignition is off. Does it need to be on? I can't seem to find instructions that say one way or the other.
Ignition needs to be on as most modules go into a sleep mode with the ignition off.

Reactions: Uwe

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
...but the engine doesn't need to be running (unless you want live engine data)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What makes you think that a 2007 Touareg has control modules at addresses 35 or 74?

There is definitely nothing at 35; that's all handled by 46.

I don't recall what 74 might be, but it's not in the list of modules to be scanned for a 7L Touareg, which tends to explain why the HEX-NET isn't finding anything there.

-Uwe-

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
Ok, I guess that's the problem. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this and wish there was better documentation. I've found it to be lacking for the WiFi version. It seems like everything pushes back to windows (registration and adding the VIN for example). I'll keep trying to figure out how to do things with this. Thanks for jumping in.

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
If in doubt, start with an Auto-Scan.
This will give you a list of everything that responds so you know what's fitted to the car.

If you save the scan it's also a reference for your current coding values, should you change anything incorrectly and need to change it back.

jlukasavige

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=389143
Thanks for that! I've done an auto-scan but I had no idea what it meant. I'll save that. Really appreciate the help.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, Always, always do a full autoscan before anything else.

After you fiddle with something, or screw it up, or lose the ABS coding etc... you have something to refer to.

Doing an autoscan before just removing the instrument cluster can be a lifesaver in some cars.

I then email them to my online mail account, and usually post them on here somewhere too - in case it helps someone out one day.

Last edited:
Back