Thread: Diesel filter change - caution

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Diesel filter change - caution

Greetings fellow VW/Audi lovers,

First of all, I have no intention to mock VCDS or discourage anyone from doing a filter change but i’d like to point out that the VCDS’s fuel pump priming might not work the same on every car.

Yesterday I was doing my major service on my 1.6 CAYC and found that my car wouldn’t start due to air lock. Just in case anyone is wondering, the solution was to bleed the injectors one by one using a spanner.

Perhaps someone can guide me on how to do it in the future so that bleeding wouldn’t be necessary as I believe I’ve done everything as per instructions: 01 Engine>basic settings>test electric fuel pump> 30 seconds intervals.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have not done this myself, and I have certainly not done it on on a 1.6 (because they don't exist on this side of the pond), but I'm wondering...

Air at the injectors is on the high-pressure side of the system. The filter is on the low-pressure side. How is it possible that changing the filter got air into the high-pressure side? I wouldn't expect that to happen at all.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Air at the injectors is on the high-pressure side of the system. The filter is on the low-pressure side. How is it possible that changing the filter got air into the high-pressure side? I wouldn't expect that to happen at all.

-Uwe-
    It really won't and if it did it would self bleed right at recirculating weeps in first commencement of injection since CR.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have had this on my 2.7 if air gets into the line at all while changing the fuel
    filter i have had to bleed the lines on each cylinder .pain in the .... . there is no prime function
    on mine either .next time fill the line to the pump with diesel an fill the filter should be fine then...

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't the old 2.7 support a bleeder screw at pump?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........