Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Audi A4 CGLC limp mode

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your meter won't be fast enough to Catch it, but that's not what I meant. Road testing with a scope ANYWHERE on the 5vref B would be enough. Regardless, the crank sensor looks like a hall effect, so a very possible cause

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your meter won't be fast enough to Catch it, but that's not what I meant. Road testing with a scope ANYWHERE on the 5vref B would be enough. Regardless, the crank sensor looks like a hall effect, so a very possible cause
    Again he has a DTC in VCDS & which shows the DTC in the controller already, why would he need to qualify the sample rate versus the harness for adequate shield and wire attenuation, what good would measuring a signal with a scope here?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you any more information on how to check in VCDS these decade boxes? Never heard of them before?

Havent tried a direct communication with the ABS as never realised at the time of the auto scan - fairly confident the only code is the function restricted by codes in other modules message though.

Thing is....it throws this issue very randomly. I did a short trip this morning and put the light on after 10mins driving, went out again and fault come within 30seconds. Drove home after work and car was fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you any more information on how to check in VCDS these decade boxes? Never heard of them before?

Havent tried a direct communication with the ABS as never realised at the time of the auto scan - fairly confident the only code is the function restricted by codes in other modules message though.

Thing is....it throws this issue very randomly. I did a short trip this morning and put the light on after 10mins driving, went out again and fault come within 30seconds. Drove home after work and car was fine.
    Did you read the JPPSG the entire thread all pages?

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...uot-JPPSG-quot
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Again he has a DTC in VCDS & which shows the DTC in the controller already, why would he need to qualify the sample rate versus the harness for adequate shield and wire attenuation, what good would measuring a signal with a scope here?
    Measuring the 5v ref? with a scope? To ascertain voltage level on the reference line during the event - slightly more help than a fault code with erroneous freeze frame data.

i clearly stated to scope the 5v ref, not the signal? and attenuation? why would he need to attenuate voltage on a 12v system, were talking about a reference voltage line, not collapsing primary fields

Post Thanks / Like
    Measuring the 5v ref? with a scope? To ascertain voltage level on the reference line during the event - slightly more help than a fault code with erroneous freeze frame data.

i clearly stated to scope the 5v ref, not the signal? and attenuation? why would he need to attenuate voltage on a 12v system, were talking about a reference voltage line, not collapsing primary fields
    It's a waste of time & why are you still equivocating and have not posted the requested data in your own ABS thread?
    Why do you want to direct a member to use a scope and possibly convince them they should, after they already said they don't have one, plus you can't even derive a login or use the tool or the forum as specified?

KISS method is better and less costly!

Post Thanks / Like
    In most cases I will always endorse checking or cross checking the diagnostic stack due to tampering or possibly for FOD, right?

When it comes to these type faults & for ref voltage, I have deployed new strategies and because I have found issues in the field to warrant it due to RTFB and stack being purposely vague, haven't you?

Attenuation of the speed ref sensors or for inadequate shield has for a long time, has it not been an issue, so if someone gets a fault I would check harness and change respective sensor if not to hard to get too, wouldn't you and before an expensive ECU?

From 1993 to 1999 when G28 sensors were shielded and encapsulated correctly they hardly ever failed in VAG but as soon as they started making with plastic or smaller size core they have since become an issue, doesn't everyone see this that's been in the game for 35 years?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    It's a waste of time & why are you still equivocating and have not posted the requested data in your own ABS thread?
    Why do you want to direct a member to use a scope and possibly convince them they should, after they already said they don't have one, plus you can't even derive a login or use the tool or the forum as specified?

KISS method is better and less costly!
    Because that car's been fixed already. This man is looking for help not a pissing contest; you can attempt to belittle me all you want, but i'm not partaking in a thread highjack.

OP did you get anywhere with the crank sensor as a suspect for pulling ref low?

Post Thanks / Like
    Because that car's been fixed already. This man is looking for help not a pissing contest; you can attempt to belittle me all you want, but i'm not partaking in a thread highjack.

OP did you get anywhere with the crank sensor as a suspect for pulling ref low?
    Yes but you didn't post a final auto-scan or how you fixed it, why?

You are right lets not do that, however, I thought I was giving that help and without a scope because the OP stated he does not have one?

The voltage drop is what is used by the controller to determine a problem in the circuit and the controller sees it or both faults.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Little update...

I did a bit digging today. had a wiggle of all the connectors on the voltage B side of the loom.

Unplugged the EGR valve and never threw a code (probably because the EGR has been mapped out due to previous issue) On the off chance I plugged it back in and the car dropped into limp mode. It did this a couple of times. ive left it unplugged for now and going to run the car over a few days to see if fault crops back up.

The crank sensor i think was just a false positive lead. If the 5V line has dropped down, then chances are the crank sensor has seen a significant drop in voltage to stop it from sending signal, hence why the ECU threw that code up in the scan. Cleared it off and it hasnt come back up 'yet' so probably nothing wrong with the sensor (otherwise it would more than likely happen all the time)

Ill run the car a few days and see what comes up. Hopefully unplugging the EGR sorts the issue out.

Does anyone know if the EGR is prone to condensing up with water inside the little black cap on the top of it? Heard someone mention they were pretty prone to it.

11. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post