2014 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-Line-Unable to perform Suspension Level control calibration

jrok

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253352
I'm shooting from the hip so I apologize if I may not make sense. All I know is that all was well and good with my vehicle before hooked up my VCDS. I'm not blaming the equipment, but I'd love to figure out what happened. I do know that even with the one off reading of the left front sensor, it's using that reading as a "zero" if you must. It still levels out the vehicle with the odd reading. I disconnected the sensor linkage and moved the arm to replicate the reading of the right front and the right front maxed out its travel trying to compensate. I just want to restore the functionality of my suspension at this point. All I need is for channel 1 to accept any input at all.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Is VCDS configured for tester number, WSC and Importer number?

Is it possible you bumped something and didn't realize it?

jrok

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253352
No, everything is exactly as I purchased it 6 months ago. I actually was able to complete the procedure this evening by entering lower values than baseline(raising the front even higher) then slowly working my way back down to where I started which puts my front height to 467mm(factory baseline is 449). I guess a previous owner/technician possibly compensated for this lower reading by raising the front, I’m not sure. I am glad to have functional suspension again though, albeit too high.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Sounds like FOD and induced FOD, with a twist of user error to me.

I'm glad you got it to adapt but please reconsider how those sensor numbers would get there & on the one specifically out in comparison.

jrok

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253352
I agree Jack. I honestly can’t wrap my head around how it remains level with the one reading so far off, but I intend to find out.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yeah it has to be mechanically out by some means, no?

I really like setting up the air suspensions in simulation first & because it leaves adjustment open without using the stupid pump from over heating and is a known problem, right?

Once you have a car that is accurate from baseline, It's easy to create your own chart to measure a timing point on car you can ref, good idea right?

See I like to create a base, middle and full rise measurement of the physical suspension & in air, then at same time adjust all sensor points to reflect a static in calibration of basic mechanicals, while watching blocks in VCDS or using DVOM, make sense?
This way when adaption is done in VCDS it should be if on a level surface as specified for input and at least reflect a consistency detail and not just a compensation for the short corner, make sense?

I have often seen a sensor base plate or rod bent or tweaked at offset point and causing an inconsistent reading but if you input wrong that could happen too or controller might try to adapt on its own to compensate possibly, make sense?

jrok

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253352
Thanks again everyone. After letting my problem sit for a couple days and clearing my mind for a bit, I’ve come to the conclusion that although not bent, the mounting bracket for my front left height sensor was in fact rotated some how. After loosening the upper control arm bolt which holds the bracket, I was able to rotate it to a more favorable position, allowing normal operation of my sensor. It’s such a small amount of rotation I had ruled it out as a possibility even after looking at it for a few days. I really do appreciate all of the help.

Gremling

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=319714
Hi, when did the problem arise? Was it after you´ve had the car for a while, or been like that from day one as yours?
If in your hands for a while, what has happened/how did you notice issue (fiddling about with vcds and observed it there, or noticed otherwise)?

Please check again level sensor attached to top left shock, for correct fitment/position and condition. check wiring lomb as well.
Please do a re-adaptation of the sensor, in accordance with manual ref to "Removing and installing front left vehicle level sender -G78-. (always use manual, not the I´ve been told such and such)
See also Audi SSP362 link -> http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_362.pdf pg 28, please note that this is not a substitute to maintenance manual, more an addition to it.

Regards
Gremling

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

jrok

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=253352
I’ve actually had the car for 6 months and it performed great. After deciding that I wanted to lower it with VCDS and realizing what the factory set points are for height, did I notice a discrepancy in the front suspension. It was about 15mm higher than the standard 449mm. I thought no problem, I’m lowering it anyway. After attempting to return it to factory settings, it was realized that the front left sensor was preventing me from doing so. Looking through the measuring blocks section for my level sensors allowed me to see the extreme differential between the front two sensors. The fact that the front left was measuring much lower(according to reference numbers) it would not allow me to lower it to factory height, much less lower. It was confusing at first because all corners were level and no trouble codes were thrown. No sagging, no issues. I assumed it was something I had done when in fact was a pre-existing issue.

Back