Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B7 Instrument Cluster - Backlit Scales not working with Headlights OFF

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried cold-booting the instrument cluster? Remove all power from it. Either disconnect the car's battery for a while, or disconnect the cluster from the car for a while.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Have you tried cold-booting the instrument cluster? Remove all power from it. Either disconnect the car's battery for a while, or disconnect the cluster from the car for a while.

-Uwe-
    Yes, I have tried removing the battery for 10-15 minutes after it first happened when the coding didn't do anything.

I will try it again now since all the modules seem to be functioning normally and not generating any error codes. It just doesn't like the third option code for some reason?

Will let you know,

Bimmerod

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how relevant this is to you at this late stage but i'm posting for reference. I have a 2007 B7 Quatttro Avant that i bought and used in Canada then imported to the USA when I returned. It had been messed up a bit (possibly during battery replacement like you) and the general electric module had a bad coding. In the process of reading and sorting that out I discovered two things: the Canadian versions of the B7 are set to have the dash lights on permanently. The American versions are set to have them controlled by ambient light. In the coding of the Instrument Cluster/Module itself, the 5th digit is for country. 2 is USA and 3 is Canada. I don't know how the lights behave for other countries.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 0 coding you currently have the 5th digit set to is for Germany (and probably the default if it got reset during the battery change).