Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 08 4.2FSI Q7 Multiple cyl misfire. ROUGH running/ barely idles -at wits end....

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have full access to ShopKeyPro for my service manual.
    I'm a former auto technician with 25yrs experience, now teaching automotive tech, so not my first rodeo.
    Appreciate the suggestions, but looking for some corners to cut, avoiding IF POSSIBLE -(please Lord) motor out timing component replacement.
    Having no codes relating to timing issues frustrates me going down this timing colored road...

You mean "LostKeyPro" right?

Is the ECU possibly FOD and maybe not reporting all the faults it should?

Have you read your compression gauge correctly and has it been cross checked with another?

As an instructor you should know better than to seek to take shortcuts, like not doing the aforementioned & before changing an extensive amount of all these parts.

When setting up the timing with RTFB, you can indeed create such a cheat sheet & with use of a dial indicator of piston overall depth at rock point/TDC/BDC and with protractor degree wheel of each of the cams and lobe offsets to check chain slack, base timing and key or virtual key-way or press fits, no?

Call me crazy, however, nope asshole is fine, was not work history indicating that someone was already in there and FUBAR FOD something?

(oddly only the right bank was dirty, left bank was very clean??)

FOR SHAME NEGATING JPPSG ............

Mechanical tests will always indeed win!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    SlapMeyPro isn't always correct (there are documented occasions the Bentley is wrong too for that matter), very good point, and I've shared that with my students as we encounter it.

Neither ECU's reported any timing issues.

Asking for help is one of the last things I ever do. I always try to figure out a solution using the resources at hand first.

Short cuts tips are always welcomed as long as they provide useful results. There are some that are detrimental for sure.

Yes, I've encountered defective equipment in the past. Not thinking this is the case this time. My compression tester is a new MV5532 Mighty Vac Digital comp tester, has proven trustworthy in past couple uses.
    My other trusted Snap-On tester does not read above 225 and gets maxed out.

Definite signs of other hands in the mix.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definite signs of other hands in the mix.
    Sure sounds like it to me...........
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many thoughts into this over the weekend.
    High compression would result from carbonization of combustion chamber -will investigate today -but not sold on this causing the extreme misfires and undrivable nature of the engine.

Looked all weekend for the "how to" set this 4.2FSI engine TDC to check cam alignment WHILE IN THE ENGINE BAY.

There is a mark on the front balancer pulley but when aligned with mark on block, neither bank of cylinders camshafts -which have what I believe are the bolt holes for the alignment tools mentioned in RM- close to level to accept a tool. Right bank is rotated (from the front of the motor) CW too far and the left bank is WAY CW off. And I'M CERTAIN its on the compression stroke and not 180 off.

Now, before anyone says "WELL THERE'S your answer" -I need to know if that's the procedure to set this TDC motor in situ. IF so, then I'll start dropping the motor.
    Last edited by imquattro; 12-09-2019 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's indeed in the RTFB.......

7. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, doing my best to understand the TDC procedure... the front crank mark is lined up but the cams are off on both banks. Right bank is close, but the left bank is way off. They were just so off that I figured I was misunderstanding the procedure or doing it wrong or both lol.
    Will finish dropping motor today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, doing my best to understand the TDC procedure... the front crank mark is lined up but the cams are off on both banks. Right bank is close, but the left bank is way off. They were just so off that I figured I was misunderstanding the procedure or doing it wrong or both lol.
    Will finish dropping motor today.

What's this?
    http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_377.pdf

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't feel like finishing that motor drop, i can easily get you a cam crank waveform for you to compare. I've got an 08 4.2 in today that i could quickly get a waveform from (if you have a scope).

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't feel like finishing that motor drop, i can easily get you a cam crank waveform for you to compare. I've got an 08 4.2 in today that i could quickly get a waveform from (if you have a scope).
    Yeah I'm not so sure the high compression on one bank will change with this data of the scope or will help in a huge way here, huh?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks PIVOT, motor and tranny assembly already out.
    Jack, thanks, already the entire SSP dl'd
    Next: separation.....