Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 08 4.2FSI Q7 Multiple cyl misfire. ROUGH running/ barely idles -at wits end....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Noted in a Toyota specific class, highly specific on how you apply the sealant on front timing cover, and do it wrong and it is hosed.

As Jack says Read the Fine print, not fun but Important.

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    waveforms > engine R+R. Call me lazy, i'd rather take a few minutes to grab a waveform before i remove an engine.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pivot, that is just stupid.

LARIMORE

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, I know the VAG is some kind of sweet tool. And I know that is what this forum is about not scopes.

And also I know a guy like you and the team from Ross tech can probably tell what is wrong before opening the hood, I call this empirical studies, experience, just is what it is.

But with an engine as complex as this, would have done a relative compression and compression wave form back about page one before buying a butt load of parts. As. You note all the lines might look sweet but what if a keyway or other is compromised now what do we trust.

As you stated with no codes has somebody played with it?., I hate it, makes it really tough for the garage guy when trying to trust the scanner data.

Again great stuff, have a great new year.

LARIMORE
    Scopes and scanners like all tools are great and have a place. In today's day in age and the incestuous pervasive FOD are warranting the original approach to diagnostics.

It's called basic mechanical/electronic tests!

Think about it here, the industry as a whole has lost their way. We have an instructor & who doesn't follow them either. I sure hope he is teaching them or will consider the reinforcement of that procedure for his pupils now!
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    waveforms > engine R+R. Call me lazy, i'd rather take a few minutes to grab a waveform before i remove an engine
    Must be a ton of damaged induced harness's in your shop area huh?
    So you would rather run an engine knowing it is in full on misfire and do potential damage, from fuel contamination etc. versus do an actual compression check and get a real analysis of the situation?

Better Pivot and rethink your over complex process huh?
    Here is a KISS! Yes indeed you are lazy!
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the left bank's exhaust cam had skipped some teeth. We heard some additional clicks as we were turning the motor (CW) over to access torque converter bolts. We were using the front pulley to turn the motor over.
    Came to a hard stop just shy of the final two bolts.
    Found #6 cylinder's exhaust cam trying to open valves while piston was coming up.
    Had to remove cam adjuster with cam rolled back in safe position to allow motor to turn over to access final TC bolts.
    Will check cyl #6.
    Removed tranny
    Removed cover and here we are.
    Tools still haven't arrived for timing service (expected today). Good time to clean up and take notes.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...lLaHliOVhHR1Jv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...tNSVNUbl9vYUtV

Post Thanks / Like
    And the oil sump pickup looks like what?

Post Thanks / Like

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the procedure to check the cam sprocket adjusters.
    They don't appear keyed to camshaft's
    additionally, I've watched this in regards to a similar design but in contacting the company, they stated the Q7's 4.2FSI motor doesn't use this system.

Timing componenets ordered....

**Sump is in process of being checked**

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the procedure to check the cam sprocket adjusters.
    They don't appear keyed to camshaft's
    additionally, I've watched this in regards to a similar design but in contacting the company, they stated the Q7's 4.2FSI motor doesn't use this system.

Timing componenets ordered....

**Sump is in process of being checked**
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ir_Information