Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 08 4.2FSI Q7 Multiple cyl misfire. ROUGH running/ barely idles -at wits end....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Yes, I noted that guide was missing a piece when I pulled the left upper cover. I removed it entirely before it dropped any more.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I noted that guide was missing a piece when I pulled the left upper cover. I removed it entirely before it dropped any more.

Am I referencing a chain guide here, I think not?

Did you see the possible pins that can break "inside" the adjusters themselves to permit a hydraulic freewheel and rely on nothing but oil PSI to hold a base/max position being negated?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I referencing a chain guide here, I think not?
    Thought you were...

Did you see the possible pins that can break "inside" the adjusters themselves to permit a hydraulic freewheel and rely on nothing but oil PSI to hold a base/max position being negated?
    Simple answer. no, I don't think so. I honestly don't understand what you're referring to. Are you talking about the "pins" that were referenced in that video link I posted earlier or something else? I don't currently have a penta-star socket (seems different than a Torx) to disassemble the cam adjuster -if THAT is where this pin is you're referring to.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the JHM motorsport video about the old adjusters, it'll give you a good visualization of the aforementioned pins

5. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I thought too, but these require a pentalobe (like torx) bit to disassemble -which I don't have (yet).
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...Z4YXM1OFF6Qlo0

7. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes things are posted to show what not to do, huh?
    Definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by imquattro View Post
    We heard some additional clicks as we were turning the motor (CW) over...
    Eeergh...

Quote Originally Posted by imquattro View Post
    Found #6 cylinder's exhaust cam trying to open valves while piston was coming up.
    Iím cringing. But itís great to find the root cause.

I had a turbo let go on a 1.8T years ago. It first sounded like a screeching bird when trying to boost. So in my diagnosis, I pulled the inlet hose to the turbo; and the compressor impeller looked intact and spun freely. I nearly started looking elsewhere, but something in my gut told me itís definitely the turbo - and just get the thing off for a proper look.

Well, turbo had sheared itís shaft; and the turbine was free to move in an x, y and z axis. The oil feed pipe on those 1.8Ts ran round the rear of the engine then under a heat shield above the exhaust manifold. The oil was so caked in that pipe I couldnít budge it with 100 bar hydraulic pressure from our test rig.

Feels satisfying when youíre done and itís ticking over smoothly as youíre tidying up and doing your final check for leaks.

12. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The oil was so caked in that pipe I couldn’t budge it with 100 bar hydraulic pressure from our test rig.
    Again why I think all turbo cars should have a bifurcated sump, pump and after cooler to operate when shut down with water circulation.

Engines would be far better off!

14. Likes Zenerdiode, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because there is a complete vacuum of information on these newer camshaft adjusters to support NOT taking them apart to check their operation and literally found NO pictures of the insides, I disassembled mine to investigate/clean.
    Looks like Audi fixed their earlier cam adjuster style issues -note the hardened ring for the pin to lock into.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...Z4YXM1OFF6Qlo0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...pvNW55dmpIeHpv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...hQX0k0NVlVd29n

Now we all know why there's nothing notable mentioned about them.
    ---no news is sometimes good news---

16. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts liked this post