Using VCDS tool on my Motorcycle

Adecood

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383289
I would like to know if I can use my OBD II cable w/ VCDS software on my 2019 BMW R1250RT motorcycle. This motorcycle has the OBD II interface connector to read the codes on the bike. My question if I connected the cable to my bike would I able to use the VCDS software to do any diagnostic's or reset any features on my bike.

There is a tool that you can purchase "GS-911" that does interface diagnostics that is made for the bike. It currently cost $300 to buy this unit. And before I spend the money on another specialized too work on my bike I wanted to see if I can use the tool I already have.

So if anyone has any advice on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
Pretty sure that VCDS will not talk to the BMW motorcycle. I don't think it will cause any harm... but simply do not know for sure. Perhaps there is a BMW motorcycle forum on which you could ask?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
If that bike supports the generic OBD-II protocols, you may get generic OBD-II data from the engine, but VCDS certainly won't talk to any of the other systems at all, or do any manufacturer-specific things.

I doubt there's any harm in trying:
https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.php

-Uwe-

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi Adecood,
As Uwe say's you would only be able to get OBD related data. You will not be able to access ABS, Instruments, CAN etc. I have used VCDS on a Triumph to look at EOBD data and clear DTC's. I do have GS-911 and it works very well.
Regards HMC

Adecood

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383289
Thank you for all that responded to my request. I really do appreciate your help in my quest for the correct tech answer. As suggested by HMC I will look into the GS-911

Back