Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please switch on dipped headlight warning VW Golf 7.5 UK Model ???

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Don,

Appreciate the further input and comments. Unfortunately being born in the late 50’s last century as well, and from my interest in photography from my early teens at that time, I probably have an unhealthy interest in light levels and solving this problem for the general “Scottish” ambient light conditions, and my declining tolerance for annoying problems…...

Ref your input around the Lux values for dawn and daylight, I’ll have a play with those tomorrow. I’m assuming the lower light level at ENG123007 is what triggers the switch on warning, (200Lx), not the higher level indicated in ENG123006 (500Lux), but want to check with you again that that was not a typo on your part, affecting my understanding of how this circuit might be working. Appreciate if you could double check your thoughts on that, higher Lux is brighter triggering switch off, not switch on etc.

Understand and agree with your hysteresis theory and will keep that in mind with future trials.

Already had a go at changing the Long coding in the RLS/RHLS/RFLS slave controller a few days ago, with no significant difference noticed. Note though that although 4 alternatives are shown there, only 1 (+60% from memory) was accepted by the controller with the others being rejected as “out of range.” Will try the +60% one again and note any difference in the lux values then set in ENG123006 and ENG123007 and let you know.

Many thanks Don, great inputs,

Owen

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen in Scotland View Post

Unfortunately being born in the late 50’s last century..............
    "late 50's"? You are a mere baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Owen in Scotland View Post

Ref your input around the Lux values for dawn and daylight, I’ll have a play with those tomorrow. I’m assuming the lower light level at ENG123007 is what triggers the switch on warning, (200Lx), not the higher level indicated in ENG123006 (500Lux), but want to check with you again that that was not a typo on your part, affecting my understanding of how this circuit might be working. Appreciate if you could double check your thoughts on that, higher Lux is brighter triggering switch off, not switch on etc.
    hmm....... OK - it might be my thick Australian accent and my involuntary (and understandable) tendency to easily slip into "strine" (look it up) - but I suspect that we do misunderstand each over!!

That said, I'm not entirely sure which of us is correct - my ego makes me hope that it's you that is wrong, but past experience in interpreting the meaning of BCM channels suggests that it might be me that has erred (which would be an unmitigated disaster - I'm sure you would agree !! )

So this is my thinking - If you look at the wording of the channels - the "dawn" channel has the lower setting of 200 Lux. My assumption (and it's just that) is that the value in this channel relates to what happens when the car is traversing the period from late night to early morning. While I agree with your hypothesis about the relative values of the 2 x threshold values - the only way to make sense of the title words in the channel name is my way - I think.

In my befuddled mind, this logic tends to support the notion that the lower lux value in ENG123007 is the "switch-off" threshold (which may be accompanied by a warning message) and ENG123006 is the threshold for "switch-on" which is accompanied with the familiar nag-message that annoyingly and repeatedly has assailed your gaze.

But, as I have said numerous times before - there is no greater folly than a man (or woman) who believes that truth has only one face - so, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Probieren geht über studieren

-Uwe-

(Yeah, yeah, I'm violating my own "post in English" rule. Call it Dictator's perrogative)
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely Uwe, where there is a will.......

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Don, no baby any longer unfortunately, but thanks for the thought at least….

It’s not the strine that’s confusing us here, more the German translation of the coding intent I think. I agree with your thinking that the lower value relates to what happens at dawn, and the higher value dictates what happens at day. (Or dusk more to my thinking) Our thoughts are in line actually I think, not different. I got myself confused when you mentioned “the headlights are automatically enabled at the ENG123008 value of 500 lux (above)” The word (above) there confused me, as I agree it will switch on as the light fades to 500 lux or “below”, hysteresis values accepted, and then remain on until daylight fades completely into night, night turns into dawn next day and the light level rises to 200 lux or “above” again, hysteresis values accepted to prevent hunting around these single value thresholds, so we are in sync I think. I confused myself originally with your 500 (above) comment as mentioned.

I tried playing around with the various lux settings again today, but not much further forward I don’t think.

Trial 1-
    Reduced the value in MAS08228-ENG133437 from 1200 to 60.
    At the same time, reduced the value in MAS08228-ENG133438 to 80, that was the lowest value the controller would accept with MAS08228-ENG133437 set to 60.

While monitoring the actual trigger values for lights and warning on / off via the advanced measuring blocks below, noted that regardless of these changes, warning message and dipped headlights still came on around 300 lux, and remained on until around 3000 lux??? As such, changed these two back to their default values.

Light sensor advanced measuring blocks:
    IDE05838-MAS02475 Light recognition sensor-Brightness infrared 0 lx
    IDE05838-MAS02851 Light recognition sensor-Brightness 60 lx
    IDE05838-MAS04809 Light recognition sensor-Darkness On
    IDE05838-MAS04810 Light recognition sensor-Request for light activation On

Trial 2 -
    Reduced the hysteresis settings at MAS08228-ENG133434 and MAS08228-ENG133435 both to 60, again the lowest value they would accept. Did not notice any change in switch off/on behaviour compared with the above Trial. So, changed those two back to their defaults as well.
    Tried to change the sensitivity settings for dawn and day channels at ENG123007 and ENG123006, but the controller would not accept any different values there, returning the “out of range” error message on both channel change attempts. (Up or down)

Trial 3 –
    Per your PPS comment, I changed the slave controller long coding to the +60% level option, the only one it would permit me to change rejecting all others as “out of range.” The revised coding was accepted as 18A8DD. I looked the actual lux values in ENG123007 and ENG123006 to determine if they had changed at all, but they were still the same level of 200 and 500 respectively.

So still needing to do a bit more thinking and research into this, I’m wondering if the Infra red sensor is in some way playing a part here, by way of a combination of both luminance light and infra red light permutations here??? E.g MAS08228-ENG133444

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Owen.

7. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^Owen,
    While it would be wonderful to read of your success in solving this issue - my more immediate delight is in the vindication of my previous intuitive observation:

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post

....Sounds like you have a passion for solving this problem and the intellectual capacity to pursue the matter - both excellent attributes.
    Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)