2011 VW Jetta hood latch issues

Adecood

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383289
I may or may not have a issue that you guys can help me with.

On my Jetta I am having a problem with the hood not latching when I dropped the hood down. I watch some you tube video's on how to remove the latch. So today I tough I would attack this issue. Well I was able to remove the latch assembly from the car and fix the issue on why the latch was not rotating freely inside the asm. But during the process of removing the latch asm from the car the 2 wires that plug into the switch on the latch asm pulled out of the switch. Now my issue is that the open hood symbol on the dash will not turn off when the hood is closed. I tried shorting out the 2 wires (connecting both wires together) that went to switch so as to try to fool the dash light. And that didn't work. So now my question is there a way to fool the dash light using the VCDS software by telling the light not to turn on?

I haven't used the VCDS software a lot and I was hoping for some advice.

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610
I may or may not have a issue that you guys can help me with.

On my Jetta I am having a problem with the hood not latching when I dropped the hood down. I watch some you tube video's on how to remove the latch. So today I tough I would attack this issue. Well I was able to remove the latch assembly from the car and fix the issue on why the latch was not rotating freely inside the asm. But during the process of removing the latch asm from the car the 2 wires that plug into the switch on the latch asm pulled out of the switch. Now my issue is that the open hood symbol on the dash will not turn off when the hood is closed. I tried shorting out the 2 wires (connecting both wires together) that went to switch so as to try to fool the dash light. And that didn't work. So now my question is there a way to fool the dash light using the VCDS software by telling the light not to turn on?

I haven't used the VCDS software a lot and I was hoping for some advice.

How about if you do not jump the two wire, does the hood now show as closed. Based on the WD if I am reading it right that hood switch is open when the hood is closed and becomes closed and provides ground to module when the hood is opened, opposite of what you normally would think.

Just when out and tried on a MK5 at the connector,with the switch connector unplugged the hood is shown as closed but when I jumping at the connector plug it then shows hood as opened.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Hey I have an idea OP & if you would indulge me, WTF happens if you fix the wires going into the switch or replace the switch?

FOD!

INDUCED FOD!

JPPSG

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...essional-Problem-Solver-Guide-quot-JPPSG-quot

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

Adecood

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=383289
Thank you very much "MVB".
I just went out to the car and pulled out the jumper wire from the plug. And tada no light on the dash. Daaaaaaaa didn't think out of the box on this one.

Jack @ European parts. I can't fix the wires going into the switch because they broke off right at the base of the switch. And if all else fails my next move was to buy a new switch. But I was trying to avoid pulling everything apart again to replace the switch.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I was just busting your balls OP:
Personally I hate this switch and unplug it.

Here is why!
If for some stupid reason in a snow storm you get into minor collision and the switch fails & while the hood can't be released for "some reason" , you need to get out of harms way, you still need wipers!

To me It's a design flaw.

Wiper VAG service position can kiss my ass.

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610
If you decide to repair keep in mind that one way to fix this is to replace a small harness that goes from the hood switch to plug connector T2A about two feet long I believe. You can most likely pick this up at a "junk yard" for cheap.

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
I understand it's just an example to show possible solution.
Those in example are really bad quality, I'd suggest at least something like this:
Or OE bonnet switch from older models, for example 191953236
s-l300.jpg

Couldn't someone also just drill or find a hole in rad support and install a push pin switch & so it still functions and doesn't force disassembly of the vehicle?

Example not endorsed!

https://www.ebay.com/p/14004208716?...LPaEtp02MvS1ZEWSVVkPJUODQX317TccaAjPXEALw_wcB

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Funny you say that Mr. X I was thinking the same thing from early A4 with boot, must be telepathy or good HAM COM tonight in atmosphere.

The other one had adjust-ability for poor skill levels, for us above Jedi, this is a trivial task.

MVB_

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=164610

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
True, however, a Jedi does not break this part in first place he fixes what someone else negates.

This is why I have a gross of those stupid switches in shop & never need because none of my cars or customers broke one is so rare.

Back