Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 0776 level sensor fault - can't find source

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darel View Post
    I thought for my S5 you don't do the measurements. I thought that process was just for the cars with self-leveling air suspension, Touraeg, Allroad, etc.? And actually when I go into block 14, there's nowhere to even perform a calibration.
    I'm suspicious for the same
    P.S. I started to write my previous post 2 hours ago, but posted it just now, when finally got my younger son asleep his noon time sleeping

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    By way of an update, I fixed the problem! As we discussed from the logs I posted, I noticed the computer isn't reading separate measurements from all four sensors, you can only direcctly read "front" or "rear". So I thought maybe having a cheap sensor on the RF (which had NEVER thrown any kind of error) and an OEM sensor on the LF meant that in certain positions, the "language" of the two Hall-effect sensors just didn't match up, leading to the Mechanical Failure fault. So I have a new OEM sensor on the LF and I replaced the working cheap Chinese sensor with a used OEM sensor on the RF and poof - problem solved! The two sensors would reach a certain point where their resitance values just didn't match up, leading the computer to think the car had reached an "impossible" attitude, triggering the mechanical fault. Still not sure why this only manifested itself as a "left front" fault when the left front sensor was NOT the one causing the issue, but at least the problem is solved. Thanks for all your help, guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darel View Post
    I replaced the working cheap Chinese sensor with a used OEM sensor on the RF and poof - problem solved!
    Chinese Replacement Auto Part, eh?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

4. Likes NZDubNurd, PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup!

I'm actually curious now, had I made both fronts or both rears cheapie sensors, if the "matched pair" would work. I think it's down to just the difference in the way they read, vs one being defective. Hall effect stuff can be goofy that way, when you're dealing with an output in millivolts.