Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit VCDS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I guess they missed this part of our very short and simple Copyright Notice and License Agreement:

VCDS is Copyright 2000-2015 by Ross-Tech, LLC / Uwe M. Ross. All rights are reserved. [...] Re-distribution in any form without the prior written consent of the author is prohibited.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Uwe or Bruce,

Are your distributors allowed to ship VCDS on physical media? Bruce says they can't, and I've been sharing that as a "tell" for fake interfaces. However, Ilexa over in the UK is an officially listed distributor and they say they ship physical media. This recently came up over on the other forum.

Jason

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jason. Uwe has given permission to some to distribute the software on CD or other media. In the US, they are not permitted to do so. For the most part, it is only in special cases and frankly I hate the inconsistency. But, Ilexa begged and we allowed it.

One cannot say that just because the software is distributed on CD that it is illegal. If obtained from a listed distributor, they probably have Ross-Tech permission.

Thanks for the question Jason.... welcome to our world of confusion!

I will try to edit that other thread to be more clear....

5. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that permission is vestigial from a decade or more ago, when repair shops often didn't have internet access to download the software.

We do still include media in our Professional Kits as well, although we've abandoned CDs and now include a USB memory stick.

-Uwe-

PS: If it's a "Panda" CD like this, it's definitely not authorized:

The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes jyoung8607, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I've corrected the VWVortex thread.

Jason

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I rarely post on VWVortex anymore, but I added two cents to that thread.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A note about how we're moderating this thread:

We very much appreciate it when anyone provides us links to clones and dodgy stuff that they've found and we will pursue them in the appropriate way. However, there are a number of reasons why I don't want those links to remain active and accessible to either the general public or the web-crawlers that come through the forum. The most straightforward way for us to make them inaccessible to them, while keeping them accessible to us for perusal is to soft-delete such posts. So, please don't think the fact that one of us deleted a post means I didn't want that data posted to begin with. If the "Reason" contains "Thank you" (as it does in the post above), we genuinely mean that.

-Uwe-

12. Likes jyoung8607, Zenerdiode, Robski, Mari liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The sad thing is that the market is flooded with these counterfeit interfaces. They are even being sold on Amazon through 3rd party sellers...

14. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
    The sad thing is that the market is flooded with these counterfeit interfaces. They are even being sold on Amazon through 3rd party sellers...
    Agreed. It is sad.

As this thread has said, we work to shut down the sales channels that we can shut down. And the effort to do these things take away our resources to doing things that would benefit all.

Reality says this is the way of business in this world. We must bear the burden and pay the cost.

Do note, Ross-Tech has not put the cost burden on our customers as we have not changed prices in over 10 years. Rather, we have absorbed the costs by reducing our margins and pushing for more sales. We now have one employee who spends nearly half his day dealing with these illegal sales. Then Uwe, the owner, has to take time to deal with these. Distribs around the world are working to stop sales in their regions.

What is the cost to Ross-Tech? What is the lost sales to Ross-Tech? The numbers would be astounding!

16. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a couple more links. Should I post them in this thread or send them to someone in a PM?

I think one of the worst offenders is the site that ironically has a name you would normally associate with 40 thieves (I often wonder if the naming of that site was deliberate). How on earth you go about stopping sales of counterfeit goods from a country of origin that has non-existent or unenforceable copyright laws I have no idea but it is these untouchables that seem to be the most damaging to reputable businesses who are just trying to make an honest living.

18. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post