Manual Label Files in LCode

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
So I've started using the great LCode.exe "offline" on my desktop computer so I can drop in Long Coding strings and then compare against others the bytes/bits etc. Its very useful

However, historically, I've gone to a car and screengrabbed each of the Long Coding Pages of a Module 1 by 1 so I get all the "Plain text" coding while VCDS is connected to the vehicle. I'm assuming VCDS is pulling this info from the module in real-time (?)

What I want to do is import those plain text words for each bit so they can be added as label files when using LCode.exe offline on its own. (without being anywhere near a car!)

I tried to add a label file from my default VCDS install and that worked, but obviously it doesnt have label files for all models and variants which is why I assumed when VCDS is connected to a car its pulling that plain text wording from the module in real-time.

Is there a way to create label files this way to bring that plain text coding where a default lbl file doesnt exist so it can be used in the LCode.exe offline?

I hope that makes sense

Thanks

Andy

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
I think you did not understand the way it works.
Label information for newer cars comes encrypted in either .CLB label files or is extracted from the ASAM data in case of experimental coding.

Reactions: Uwe

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Is possible decode CLB file to LBL and look / edit as TXT
you can also make a module simulation, to create part number, and connect VCDS to code that "virtual module"

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
I think you did not understand the way it works.
Label information for newer cars comes encrypted in either .CLB label files or is extracted from the ASAM data in case of experimental coding.

Thanks Hadez16, appreciate the info.

I do understand that VCDS extracts the info from the ASAM data in the experimental coding, but what I'm trying to find out is whether its possible to extract that data out to a file that could be imported into LCode.exe when running it "offline" (i.e. not connected to car).

Other than screengrabbing each page of Experimental long coding and then manually typing that info into a "label file" which could then be loaded into LCode.exe (offline) before dropping in the long coding string to see what is ticked/not ticked etc

Thats what I'm trying to see if its possible?

Thanks again

Andy

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
Is possible decode CLB file to LBL and look / edit as TXT
you can also make a module simulation, to create part number, and connect VCDS to code that "virtual module"

Thanks, are you saying this is possible? If so, how do we go about it?

I dont want to violate any Ross-Tech/VCDS rules at the same time.

Thanks

Andy

Spacewalker

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159607
Thanks, are you saying this is possible? If so, how do we go about it?

I dont want to violate any Ross-Tech/VCDS rules at the same time.

Thanks

Andy

if you dont want ..... please dont do that
I gave you 2 options, one is already gone

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
if you dont want ..... please dont do that
I gave you 2 options, one is already gone

Thanks, I wasnt trying to be rude, just asking

I dont know how to "decode" the CBL files to look at them as text. I just want to know if they can be loaded "offline".

Thankyou

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I dont know how to "decode" the CBL files to look at them as text. I just want to know if they can be loaded "offline".
Allowing them to be loaded "off-line" would defeat the purpose of encrypting them to begin with.

-Uwe-

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
Allowing them to be loaded "off-line" would defeat the purpose of encrypting them to begin with.

-Uwe-

Thanks Uwe, thats fine by me. I'm just confused really now, so just after some clarity.

If I load Lcode.exe on my pc now I've got a button called "read info text file". What "files" can/should I be using with this button then? I'm now under the assumption I can use some files (either ending .lbl or .xpl). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, not all modules have a file ending in .lbl or .xpl so therefore I can't load it. Is that also a correct assumption?

Pure example - Door controller off a Q7 4M (i.e 4M0959595)

Sorry, just trying to make sure I fully understand

Thanks

Andy

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks Uwe, thats fine by me. I'm just confused really now, so just after some clarity.

If I load Lcode.exe on my pc now I've got a button called "read info text file". What "files" can/should I be using with this button then? I'm now under the assumption I can use some files (either ending .lbl or .xpl). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

However, not all modules have a file ending in .lbl or .xpl so therefore I can't load it. Is that also a correct assumption?
Yes, that's correct. If the file is plain text, (.LBL or .XPL), then LCode can load it off-line. If the file is encrypted (.CLB), then LCode cannot load it off-line.

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
What's the most straightforward method of achieving this?

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
Yes, that's correct. If the file is plain text, (.LBL or .XPL), then LCode can load it off-line. If the file is encrypted (.CLB), then LCode cannot load it off-line.

-Uwe-

Got it, thanks Uwe

Can I "make/create" an .lbl or .xpl file for a module if I'm connected to a car in real time and somehow store/save that so I can load it offline at a later date?

Cheers

Andy

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can I "make/create" an .lbl or .xpl file for a module if I'm connected to a car in real time and somehow store/save that so I can load it offline at a later date?
If you can load it off-line at a later date, so can everyone else. The whole point of encrypting them is to prevent that.

Keep asking how to defeat the protections we've put in place, and sooner or later, I may end up thinking you're up to something nefarious. ;)

-Uwe-

andyhud

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=32695
If you can load it off-line at a later date, so can everyone else. The whole point of encrypting them is to prevent that.

Keep asking how to defeat the protections we've put in place, and sooner or later, I may end up thinking you're up to something nefarious. ;)

-Uwe-

Noted Uwe, and I can assure you far from it.

It was just for my personal use. As I do a lot of retrofits for people I do a lot of coding deciphering at my desk in the warm instead of in the cold garage, so it was for that reason I was asking so I could work on this stuff like that

No issue whatsoever and I'm far from upto anything evil or sinister...

Cheers

Andy

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
As I do a lot of retrofits for people
You may have to consider what Spacewalker said about that "virtual module" idea.

The third party Android app OBDeleven does save the long coding and labels for offline use so you can mentally visualize the retrofit changes you would want to for a customer. The caveat is that you would have to SCAN the car first and the relevant modules, so that the labels are available offline on your smartphone. They haven't implemented making adaptations available offline. Of course, they changed some of the wording for the labels so it doesn't look like an except from VCDS.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
You may have to consider what Spacewalker said about that "virtual module" idea.

The third party Android app OBDeleven does save the long coding and labels for offline use so you can mentally visualize the retrofit changes you would want to for a customer. The caveat is that you would have to SCAN the car first and the relevant modules, so that the labels are available offline on your smartphone. They haven't implemented making adaptations available offline. Of course, they changed some of the wording for the labels so it doesn't look like an except from VCDS.

Nitrousoxide: Yes, I agree, VOLTAS IT have adopted an entirely different (and very interesting) philosophy with their OBD11 products. But, they have a singular advantage over VCDS in that their IP sits behind their cooperate firewall. Of course this advantage turns into a disadvantage at the workshop interface, because it means that the database for the car needs to be individually and separately downloaded every-time the user connects to the dongle. This includes both the long-code and adaptation channel information.

Their other advantage is that the interaction with OBD11 software is locked to a particular google user account - so access is inherently limited and security is in-built. However, this does mean that good ISP performance is needed at the site of use (not always possible in car parks and some underground workshops)!

And, apropos of the long code descriptors the OBD11 uses - again VOLTAS IT appear to have taken an entirely different (and quite innovative), approach in that most (all?) of the software switch descriptors seem to be "crowd sourced" (I say "seem to be", because it's unclear if this actually the case).

At face value at least, VOLTAS IT just steps-back from the issue that Uwe has identified above and the parent company seems to simply accept user inputs. It's a kind-of Pontius Pilate role that deftly (IMO) side-steps what are clearly quite sensitive ethical and commercial (and legal?) issues in that I've no doubt that much of what is in the OBD11 tables was originally sourced from competitor data like VCDS, VCP etc. - albeit provided and invariably re-worded in the provision process, allegedly by users.

The other interesting difference with VOLTAS IT seems to be that they openly spruik their status as having an official license as "VW group certified" (whatever that means!!). AFAIK, this "special" and quit unique status with the car manufacturer has not been questioned by VW - at least not publicly.

Don

PS: can't the adaptation channel information that you say is missing from OBD11's off-line facility be provided via their back-up file process?

PPS: doesn't VCDS mobile at least offer some of the off-line data that you seek?

hadez16

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=289891
"VW group certified" just means that they pay for getting all the ASAM control unit information stuff.
They once advertised that in connection with "in some future we also can cover other car brands because we're member of some consortium".

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
"in some future we also can cover other car brands because we're member of some consortium".
I believe this was in reference to BMW.

Back