Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
I'm not sure if anyone else is having this issue or not but for some reason, email notifications for replies to theads that I'm subscibed to don't seem to be working. Is there something I need to set somewhere to get these? I've already enabled the following setting and I can't see anything else related that I might need to change anwhere...

120ow2c.jpg

The email address in my profile is correct and I've checked my junk mail box but there is nothing in either so it seems like emails are not even being sent.

Is there currently a known issue with email notifications?

Reactions: Uwe

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of but I don't subscribe to threads either. I added this one

6vCSj3tZFTY2DZzUTRyZ3gV154JZq.jpg

.. so I should receive an email when I [Submit Reply]

Reactions: Uwe

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Well, I did not receive an email but I wonder if someone else needs to reply before I receive an notification? I believe something is broken but feel free to bump this up Gary.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
In that case I'll add a reply to see if you get anything in case notifications are only sent if a member replies to a different member's post.

If it doesn't work then it may be something as simple as the forum SMTP settings not configured correctly.

I reason I usually activate email notifications in forums is so I know if someone has replied to one of my posts without me having to keep logging in just to check.

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Subject: Reply to thread 'Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working'
Dear Dana,

GaryM has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working - in the Forum Support and Feedback: forum of Ross-Tech Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...-Email-Notifications-Not-Working&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
In that case I'll add a reply to see if you get anything in case notifications are only sent if a member replies to a different member's post.

If it doesn't work then it may be something as simple as the forum SMTP settings not configured correctly.

I reason I usually activate email notifications in forums is so I know if someone has replied to one of my posts without me having to keep logging in just to check.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Ross-Tech Forums

I got that one so it must require a reply from another member (not a reply you posted) in addition to logging in somewhat frequently based on "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I've had a couple of other reports like this. I don't normally use that feature (I get plenty of e-mail already!) but I just subscribed to this thread and it does work, at least for me. :confused:

Code:
Dear Uwe,

Dana has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working - in the Forum Support and Feedback: forum of Ross-Tech Forums.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2086-Thread-Suscription-Email-Notifications-Not-Working&goto=newpost

*Subject: Reply to thread 'Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working'*

---Quote---
Dear Dana,

GaryM has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Thread Suscription Email Notifications Not Working - in the Forum Support and Feedback: forum of Ross-Tech Forums.

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2086-Thread-Suscription-Email-Notifications-Not-Working&goto=newpost

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Ross-Tech Forums
---End Quote---
I got that one so it must require a reply from another member (not a reply you posted) in addition to logging in somewhat frequently based on "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

All the best,
Ross-Tech Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=1221&auth=b2de6e7599185deaf34f510b5bd3c58f

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all

Now I'll note that Gary is using a Hotmail account, and that Hotmail is rather infamous for "eating" mails.

-Uwe-

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
It's strange. Notifications from all the other forums I'm a member of all seem to reach my hotmail account. Maybe Microsoft has black-listed the domain that the Ross-Tech emails are being sent from for some bizarre reason so they just get junked before even getting routed to my account.

I'll try changing my email address to my another personal one or to my work one and see what happens. I'll let you know if this resolves the issue or not once I've tried it.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Well, unless someone has changed something in the forum config settings, it looks like me changing my forum email account to a different one has fixed the problem because I'm now getting topic subscription notifications when someone replies :D

Thanks Microsoft for blocking emails without even putting them in my junk email box :rolleyes:

Anyway, problem now solved so this ticket can be closed :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Microsoft/Hotmail has been known to do that. E.g.: They "disappeared" enough VCDS-Lite activations that our VCDS-Lite video practically begs people not to use a Hotmail address...

-Uwe-

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Unfortunately I've had a Hotmail account as my primary email account for well over 10 years. To much pain to try and switch to something else as my main email account now. It's just odd that I've never had the problem before on any other forums.

I think I will email Microsoft and ask them why the emails aren't getting through. At the very least the emails should end up in my junk box so I at least get some visibility of them and can choose myself whether or not I do actually want to accept emails from those senders.

NZDubNurd

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=230482
"Mee too!"...

... and I have a hotmail address (the same one since the 90's!). I do get piles of emails, including notifications, but not from here :cry:

PM notifications DO get through though.

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
"Mee too!"...

... and I have a hotmail address (the same one since the 90's!). I do get piles of emails, including notifications, but not from here :cry:

PM notifications DO get through though.

I have a Gmail account as a secondary account so I've now registered that against my forum profile on here and that seems to be working fine. I've configured the settings of my Gmail account to just forward any messages received onto my Hotmail account. This means that even with two accounts I still only need to check my Hotmail inbox. My Gmail account is therefore simply being used as a relaying account. By doing this I am now getting forum notifications in my Hotmail inbox :)

Nicoleise

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208110
Just to add; I have registrered with my normal hotmail address, that I've used since '96 or so.

I have subscribed to a few threads here by a daily email, and I receive the email alerts fine, although it also sends emails about topics that I have already read and replied to, but hey.

Microsoft is probably the most spam stricken platform, at especially during the mid '00s, they were loosing users to the almost spam free Gmail service. At that point, they started analyzing email traffic and blocked domains that their algorithms identified as spammers. This impacted many both forums and corporations, and each had to write (an email, ironically) to Microsoft to be UN-blacklisted. Microsoft being Microsoft, they of course addressed the issues individually in due time and in an orderly fashion (they spent months and months), but in theory it should be possible for Ross Tech to contact Microsoft stating that they receive a disproportionate number of email list complaints from hotmail users, and would like to make Microsoft aware that companies, that deal with user and software activation send out a rather large amount of email, and ask them if it's possible for Microsoft to rectify this frustration for their users.

Kind regards,
Nicolai

Back