Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HexNetConfig on MacOS

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I wasn't sure to which acronym(s) you were referring!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    I'll try to interpret.

VAG: Volkswagen Audi Group
    Outside of North America VAG generally stands for "Volkswagen Aktien Gesellschaft" or Volkswagen AG. The official company name. The AG indicates that it is a publicly traded (stock) company. Most German companies are either an AG or a GmBH (a limited liability corporation).

Have Fun!

Don

3. Likes Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
    Outside of North America VAG generally stands for "Volkswagen Aktien Gesellschaft" or Volkswagen AG. The official company name. The AG indicates that it is a publicly traded (stock) company. Most German companies are either an AG or a GmBH (a limited liability corporation).

Have Fun!

Don
    True. I should have remembered that having lived in Germany for a total of 13.5 years! I've also seen another abbreviation other than AG or GmBH after a company's name but I can't recall it right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    True. I should have remembered that having lived in Germany for a total of 13.5 years! I've also seen another abbreviation other than AG or GmBH after a company's name but I can't recall it right now.
    KG (Kommanditgesellschaft) – limited partnership?

Post Thanks / Like
    That may be it, Dave. Thanks.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS on MacOS (IT geek's perspective)

Quote Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
    Is there any way to run this utility on Mac after Mojave or Catalina update? I've tried the gatekeeper workaround and removing the quarantine file attributes, still no go... I'm left guessing itís because Mac and Java have stopped cooperating? Trying to run the script just results in a dialogue window that says HexNetConfig cannot be opened. No other info is given.
    The good news is "Yes" you can run VCDS on a MAC then there is always that "but" that comes along, so here it is.... You have to run a Virtual Box Windows X VM on your MAC and then you will need to install some additional Virtual Box USB support (also know as the USB Extension Pack). You'll want to use Virtual Box vs VMware as there are some issues with USB support with VMware Work station.

"Simplified Version"
    1) Download Virtual Box.
    2) Install Virtual Box on your MAC.
    3) Download the Virtual Box Extension Pack.
    4) Install the Install Extension Pack.
    5) Download Windows X (X = Whatever version of Windows Desktop you want) ISO from MicroSoft
    6) Create a Windows X VM and choose the default settings. Example - Windows 10 will ask for an install key but you can choose to complete the install with out the key then the install will warn you that you will have limited functionality (No worries).
    7) Once the OS install is complete (The screen resolution is going to be super small) then configure the screen resolution and set it to 800x600.
    8) Download the latest version of VCDS.
    9) Install the latest version of VCDS.
    10) Reboot the Virtual Box VM.
    11) Login into Windows.
    12) Connect the Hex device to your MAC.
    13) Tricky part here.... Focus your options by selecting the Virtual Box VM and then select "Devices" on the MAC ribbon bar.
    14) Once you have selected "Devices", then select "USB".
    15) Then select "Hex Microsystems Ross-Tech Hex-V2 [0200]" device and this will connect the Hex2 to the virtual Windows Desktop. You should hear a sound from the VM indicating that a new USB device has been connected.
    16) Plug the Hex-V2 into your VW.
    17) Start the VSDS program.
    18) Validate you are connected to your vehicle's CPU by completing an Auto Scan of your vehicle.
    19) Post the Auto Scan results to Ross-Tech.

You can PM me if you need assistance.....

Best Regards,
    Tallman

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
    Is there any way to run this utility on Mac after Mojave or Catalina update? I've tried the gatekeeper workaround and removing the quarantine file attributes, still no go... I'm left guessing it’s because Mac and Java have stopped cooperating? Trying to run the script just results in a dialogue window that says HexNetConfig cannot be opened. No other info is given.
    If you are using macOS, you need to download a JDK - http://jdk.java.net/ - set up JAVA_HOME and add $JAVA_HOME/bin to you PATH environment through the Terminal.

Download the HexNetConfigV<VERSION>-mac.zip from https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...rrent-Versions and unzip it - which will give you an app with the name "HexNetConfig.app" - execute the app, and you should see the app open up.
    Last edited by rlarsen; 11-28-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Modified description about how to run on macOS
    Rene Larsen

Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic MY2009 - sold
    VCDS 19.6.2
    (HEX-V2)

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I using VCDS on my MacPro with a Bootcamp Win 10 64bit and it works brilliantly. I sacrificed 80gb of my SSD and you can boot whatever OS you like

12. Likes Uwe, gawied, PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people (including myself if I'm honest, until I read your post) assume it's Volkswagen Audi Group.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people (including myself if I'm honest, until I read your post) assume it's Volkswagen Audi Group.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group

1970 to 2000

From the late 1970s to 1992, the acronym V.A.G was used by Volkswagen AG as a brand for group-wide activities, such as distribution and leasing. Contrary to popular belief, "V.A.G" had no official meaning, and was never the name of the Volkswagen Group.[21]
    On 30 September 1982, Volkswagenwerk made its first step expanding outside Germany by signing a co-operation agreement with the Spanish car manufacturer SEAT, S.A.[20]
    In order to reflect the company's increasing global diversification from its headquarters and main plant (the Volkswagenwerk in Wolfsburg), on 4 July 1985, the company name was changed again – to Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft (Volkswagen AG).
    Rene Larsen

Audi A4 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic MY2009 - sold
    VCDS 19.6.2
    (HEX-V2)