Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 R32 - high fuel trim on bank 1

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Danners74 View Post
    Is the exhaust leak free a the flexi joints? What fuel are you using?
    DIY here, thought:
    Your vehicle is 173KM or 108K miles. I'm assuming the motor mounts are worn or have been replaced? Or you just stomp on it alot?
    Letting them go too long? Maybe damaged flexi-joints? Or maybe they were replaced and but one of the flexi-joints got buggered during installation?
    At idle, the flexi-joints (or some other item) is fine. Mid to higher RPM, motor starts moving around due to marginal mounts and then something starts leaking, maybe the flexi-joints?
    Air is added pre-Cat via cracked flexi (or other), and frt O2 sensor sends lean condition info to ECU thus added fuel due to fake lean condition. One flexi joint is good, the other bad?
    Explains normal op @ idle. Your parts cannon might be out of ammo.....?
    Last edited by Dunwood; 11-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.

2. Likes cas, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunwood View Post
    DIY here, thought:
    Your vehicle is 173KM or 108K miles. I'm assuming the motor mounts are worn or have been replaced? Or you just stomp on it alot?
    Letting them go too long? Maybe damaged flexi-joints? Or maybe they were replaced and but one of the flexi-joints got buggered during installation?
    At idle, the flexi-joints (or some other item) is fine. Mid to higher RPM, motor starts moving around due to marginal mounts and then something starts leaking, maybe the flexi-joints?
    Air is added pre-Cat via cracked flexi (or other), and frt O2 sensor sends lean condition info to ECU thus added fuel due to fake lean condition. One flexi joint is good, the other bad?
    Explains normal op @ idle. Your parts cannon might be out of ammo.....?
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree that's possible. Engine mounts have all been done reasonably recently.

Re: parts cannon - they weren't all done for the fuel trim! I was just trying to give some recent history for the vehicle

4. Likes NZDubNurd liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to revisit old ground today.

Simultaneously capped off, at the intake manifold:
    • Exhaust flapper
    • EVAP
    • Intake changeover
    • Brake booster
    • Noise pipe / resonator

And there was no change on the fuel trims which suggests the vacuum system is fine. That makes sense to me, because the issue is a partial fuel trim (not idle), and it is only affecting one bank.

Which doesn't really get me much further. Still need to look for exhaust leaks giving a false lean, or something along the lines of a bad injector.