Thread: Relatively new user: ZERO results from scan from 2004 Passat

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Relatively new user: ZERO results from scan from 2004 Passat

I'm a relatively new user, you can find another of my threads under repairs for a different vehicle.

I attempted to TWICE "autoscan" a potential new vehicle (2004 Passat pre-purchase). After scanning (and seeing very little activity of moving data during the scan),
    VCDS ended after #75 or #77 (I don't remember) with results similar to the below. VCDS didn't give me the option to generate a log nor allow me to copy All and paste somewhere.

Chassis Type: 9M - VW Jetta IV (1998 > 2014)
    Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 22 29 35 36 37 39 46 47 55 56 57
    75 76

(the above is from my own vehicle, and is not the result i got but is similar to the ONLY data that displayed AFTER the TWO scans).
    That is it, no nothing! No addresses, no faults no nothing. I can't copy. Two sentances!

Background: This vehicle was being shown by a "dealer" who purchased it wholesale. He ran OBELEVEN on it.
    Something doesn't smell right. I'm assuming VCDS will autoscan this platform just like my 2001 MK4 platform.

I don't think there is a problem with VCDS, I think it's a vehicle issue.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    What type of VCDS interface cable You have?
    Try to run VCDS Port Test while connected to car in question.

3. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinsX View Post
    What type of VCDS interface cable You have?
    Try to run VCDS Port Test while connected to car in question.
    Its registered and recently updated version of VCDS with Hex-V2 cable. I walked away from the vehicle, so I don't have access to it.
    It works fine on my 2001 1.8T Jetta. The scan on the Passat didn't even pickup the VIN, yet the scan ran thru the entire scan process without an error code.
    Last edited by Dunwood; 11-07-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No 12V power to the OBD connector in the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    No 12V power to the OBD connector in the car?
    Easy to check with a HEX-V2 (or HEX-NET): [Options] -> [Test] reports the voltage at Pin 16 (unswitched) and Pin 1 (switched, but may not exist on a B5 Passat). Also the color of the LEDs on the HEX-V2 will indicate when it sees power from the car. If plugged into a PC only, they will be blue. If plugged into a car and power is present, they will be green.

I doubt it's a power problem. I think the HEX-V2 won't start a scan w/o power from the car side. I think it's more likely a blocked or disconnected K-line. If the K-line is blocked hard, as in truly stuck to +12 or GND, the HEX-V2 should pick that up and flag it as an error, but we've seen cases were it's blocked softly, for example connected to the speaker output of an aftermarket radio, where it didn't get picked up.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Also the color of the LEDs on the HEX-V2 will indicate when it sees power from the car. If plugged into a PC only, they will be blue. If plugged into a car and power is present, they will be green.

I doubt it's a power problem. I think the HEX-V2 won't start a scan w/o power from the car side. I think it's more likely a blocked or disconnected K-line. If the K-line is blocked hard, as in truly stuck to +12 or GND, the HEX-V2 should pick that up and flag it as an error, but we've seen cases were it's blocked softly, for example connected to the speaker output of an aftermarket radio, where it didn't get picked up.

-Uwe-
    I had the "green light". Uwe, you confirmed what I suspected, the scan won't start w/o power from the vehicle. I had power.
    Therefore something else was wonky. But I walked away from the car sale, so I can't retest. Thank you.

9. Likes PetrolDave liked this post