01M automatic transmission

Dunwood

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=370890
I dont own one. Just curious to hear from the pros.
Are they that badly engineered? Or with regular preventative maintenance they have worked well.
Perhaps a regular solinoid pack replacement should have been in the cards. Or by the time you got your hands on them, they were already abused?

I realize these trans are now all old, but reach back in your memory bank.

Or we could play Coke vs Pepsi? Would you rather own a 01M or a Nissan 1st gen CVT? (LOL!)

Inquiring minds want to know. AND if you are of the engineering ilk, explain your findings.....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think to some degree, it's luck of the draw. I've seen some cars with really high miles on those transmissions, while others fail early.

It's not clear to me whether maintenance makes the difference. If I had one myself, I'd change the fluid in it somewhat regularly (every 30-40,000 miles).

That reminds me. We have a 2001 Eurovan with an 01P, which is quite similar and it's coming due for another fluid change. The only transmission problem it's had is that it's needed the F125 switch replaced twice. But it has relatively low mileage. Oh, and on the 01P, VW actually recommended fluid changes every 40,000, while on the 01M they claimed it was a "lifetime fill".

-Uwe-

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
[h=2]01M automatic transmission[/h]
I dont own one. Just curious to hear from the pros.
Are they that badly engineered? Or with regular preventative maintenance they have worked well.
Perhaps a regular solinoid pack replacement should have been in the cards. Or by the time you got your hands on them, they were already abused?

I realize these trans are now all old, but reach back in your memory bank.

Or we could play Coke vs Pepsi? Would you rather own a 01M or a Nissan 1st gen CVT? (LOL!)

Inquiring minds want to know. AND if you are of the engineering ilk, explain your findings.....​

The TDI 01M seems to last a real long time as much as 300 K on original fluid I have seen!

In the gas cars & from inception of this type gearbox, statistic's say things in Digimat useful life are not as fortunate for 095/096/01M/098/01P right everyone?

A quick observation on how many requests or forum posts that can be searched & with people so fed up, they were indeed converting to stick & is such an indicator of the issues, no?

Tell me what you think guys, isn't the biggest killer of these transmissions water ingress to controller, improper basic settings/basic settings to TV and kick down when supported or faulty ATF temp sensor or VSS or turbine speed sensor by inadequate induction shielding issue & sometimes these reading even evade a DTC, however, indeed can be caught with logs of blocks in VAS ODIS or more comprehensively in logs with VCDS, a sporadic ground, faulty power charging regulation damages modules or dead/sporadic shorted components or vicariously from engine side too or faulty load TQ load requests reaping havoc, right?

All depends on what "IS" is in the Digimat huh?

tenor.gif

Back