VCDS-Lite and ECU Swap

romfeo

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am thinking of registering for VCDS-Lite to use it for the procedure described in the wiki fo"r Immobilizer III ECU Swapping" on an Audi A4 1.8TQ B6.

I have the PINs for both ECUs...

1. Is VCDS - Lite capable of this procedure?
2. I am not sure what you mean by in the Prerequisites "All relevant coding and adaptation values have been transferred from the ORIGINAL (OLD) ECU to the REPLACEMENT (USED) ECU." Does it require something in the hardware level? What exactly does this mean?

Thank you in advance

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
1) Assuming the PINs are correct, yes, it should be able to. You should be able to test the PINs in shareware mode.

2) Coding can just be copied. On a 1.8T, I don't think there are any Adaptation channels that you have to worry about.

-Uwe-

romfeo

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that!
One last question is, what do you mean by "Coding can just be copied"? To what coding are you referring to?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Thanks for confirming that!
One last question is, what do you mean by "Coding can just be copied"? To what coding are you referring to?

The coding for the module you are replacing.

Take an Auto-Scan before you remove the old module, and ensure it lists the coding against the module you are about to remove.
Assuming it does, save the Auto-Scan.
(You can also connect to the module directly, select coding, then copy the current value and save it somewhere, but a full Auto-Scan is a good reference to fall back on)

Once you've fitted the new module, connect to it, select coding and paste in the values saved from the old one.

romfeo

Reaction score
The coding for the module you are replacing.

Take an Auto-Scan before you remove the old module, and ensure it lists the coding against the module you are about to remove.
Assuming it does, save the Auto-Scan.
(You can also connect to the module directly, select coding, then copy the current value and save it somewhere, but a full Auto-Scan is a good reference to fall back on)

Once you've fitted the new module, connect to it, select coding and paste in the values saved from the old one.

Thank you for your time to answer me and sorry for my ignorance, but I cant really understand what you mean by the term "coding". I've tried to google it but still I am not sure.

I am planning to swap my ECU with another used ECU. Other than the pins of the ECUs what other coding do I need to transfer?

myounus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=321059
Thank you for your time to answer me and sorry for my ignorance, but I cant really understand what you mean by the term "coding". I've tried to google it but still I am not sure.

I am planning to swap my ECU with another used ECU. Other than the pins of the ECUs what other coding do I need to transfer?

When you open a module it will have a series of letters and numbers or only numbers e.g. 10478af853976434 that is the coding.
Hope this helps

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
When you open a module it will have a series of letters and numbers or only numbers e.g. 10478af853976434 that is the coding.
Hope this helps
Coding on those old ME7 ECUs is strictly numbers, generally a seven digit decimal number representing 23 bits.

If he's installing a used ECU in this car and it's the correct ECU for the car, chances are it will already be coded correctly as well.

-Uwe-

romfeo

Reaction score
And in the case that codings in some modules dont match in the two ECUs, is it necessary to transfer the coding from the old ECU to the new? If yes, what is the procedure to do so?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In this ECU, the coding is a 7-digit decimal number. Copy it. Paste it or type it. No big deal.

-Uwe-

Back