Thread: VCDS-Lite and ECU Swap

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

VCDS-Lite and ECU Swap

Hi there,

I am thinking of registering for VCDS-Lite to use it for the procedure described in the wiki fo"r Immobilizer III ECU Swapping" on an Audi A4 1.8TQ B6.

I have the PINs for both ECUs...

1. Is VCDS - Lite capable of this procedure?
    2. I am not sure what you mean by in the Prerequisites "All relevant coding and adaptation values have been transferred from the ORIGINAL (OLD) ECU to the REPLACEMENT (USED) ECU." Does it require something in the hardware level? What exactly does this mean?

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1) Assuming the PINs are correct, yes, it should be able to. You should be able to test the PINs in shareware mode.

2) Coding can just be copied. On a 1.8T, I don't think there are any Adaptation channels that you have to worry about.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for confirming that!
    One last question is, what do you mean by "Coding can just be copied"? To what coding are you referring to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romfeo View Post
    Thanks for confirming that!
    One last question is, what do you mean by "Coding can just be copied"? To what coding are you referring to?
    The coding for the module you are replacing.

Take an Auto-Scan before you remove the old module, and ensure it lists the coding against the module you are about to remove.
    Assuming it does, save the Auto-Scan.
    (You can also connect to the module directly, select coding, then copy the current value and save it somewhere, but a full Auto-Scan is a good reference to fall back on)

Once you've fitted the new module, connect to it, select coding and paste in the values saved from the old one.
    Apparently I should put something witty or profound in here.....

5. Likes PetrolDave, Uwe liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Gendan View Post
    The coding for the module you are replacing.

Take an Auto-Scan before you remove the old module, and ensure it lists the coding against the module you are about to remove.
    Assuming it does, save the Auto-Scan.
    (You can also connect to the module directly, select coding, then copy the current value and save it somewhere, but a full Auto-Scan is a good reference to fall back on)

Once you've fitted the new module, connect to it, select coding and paste in the values saved from the old one.
    Thank you for your time to answer me and sorry for my ignorance, but I cant really understand what you mean by the term "coding". I've tried to google it but still I am not sure.

I am planning to swap my ECU with another used ECU. Other than the pins of the ECUs what other coding do I need to transfer?

7. Likes Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romfeo View Post
    Thank you for your time to answer me and sorry for my ignorance, but I cant really understand what you mean by the term "coding". I've tried to google it but still I am not sure.

I am planning to swap my ECU with another used ECU. Other than the pins of the ECUs what other coding do I need to transfer?
    When you open a module it will have a series of letters and numbers or only numbers e.g. 10478af853976434 that is the coding.
    Hope this helps

9. Likes Mike@Gendan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myounus View Post
    When you open a module it will have a series of letters and numbers or only numbers e.g. 10478af853976434 that is the coding.
    Hope this helps
    Coding on those old ME7 ECUs is strictly numbers, generally a seven digit decimal number representing 23 bits.

If he's installing a used ECU in this car and it's the correct ECU for the car, chances are it will already be coded correctly as well.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

11. Likes myounus, Mike@Gendan liked this post
    New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    And in the case that codings in some modules dont match in the two ECUs, is it necessary to transfer the coding from the old ECU to the new? If yes, what is the procedure to do so?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    In this ECU, the coding is a 7-digit decimal number. Copy it. Paste it or type it. No big deal.

-Uwe-