Golf MK7 Gti DSG Japanese Import Help Needed !!

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
I'm

Glen: OK-first a bit of Leuchte programming theory! The way that the good Burghers in Germany have organised the commands for a leutche channel set (i.e. 19 x adaptation channels) is in groups of four adaptation channels (let's call these a Leuchte channel sub-set). Each sub-set itself has four adaptation channels. I have highlighted a sub-set in my table for each DRL.

As you can see, each of these sub-sets contains two alpha characters in the first two channels which can be separately assigned to different functions, and the pair is then jointly controlled by a dimming value and HD command in the remaining two channels (see later paragraph). Note that the last line in the other three channel sub-sets is a dimming direction command.

Look at the command lines in the last two channels in each of the four sub-sets and you will see that they always refer to the alpha-pair in the first two lines. It matters which Alpha is used because there is a preset priority sequence for the alpha characters. That is, the priority of the commands when the alpha pairs compete is always: GH>EF>CD>AB. This principle is illustrated beautifully by the settings in channels (8) and (9) in my table which relate to the Park lights. So, what the original VW programmers have said is, if the rotary light switch on your car is in the "Park" position, then over-ride the DRL function, but keep the lights illuminated at full brilliance (i.e. 127)- A good thing to do (I think)!

The fact that the B channel has a setting of not active simply means that it doesn't have another function attached to it. This means that the (6) and (7) command lines only control one activity in your car (that being the DRLs). So short answer to your question is (potentially) YES -that's it, but only if the physical gear is in the car.

Incidentally, I'm sure that the entry "always" for channel (6) in the highlighted sub-set looks a bit odd to you! The reason for this entry relates to the term HD in the command line. HD means HeckDeckle, which is the german word for the trunk lid. So "always" means that the DRL should illuminate regardless of the position of the trunk lid, which makes sense. But some of the entries in your adap map for the BCM for channel (6) have the setting "only if closed" - if used, this setting is invariably for the rear lights.

Here end-eth the lesson - thanks for obliging me !!

Answer to your second question is NO. I wasn't aware that you wanted to switch-off the DRLs, I had understood that you only wanted to switch them on! If you want to control the DRLs via the discover media screen, there is a further channel change necessary .

Select (2)-Daytime Running Lights- Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge möglich ---change setting to active.

Finally, it was remiss of me not to mention that modifications to the adaptation settings will require that you enter the magic number (31347) into the security screen before proceeding.

hi don,

Select (2)-Daytime Running Lights- Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge möglich ---change setting to active

Looks like this is set to active already on my map

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
hi don,

Select (2)-Daytime Running Lights- Tagfahrlicht Aktivierung durch BAP oder Bedienfolge möglich ---change setting to active

Looks like this is set to active already on my map

Glen - I didn't go back to check that the channel was already set. Just took the instruction from my VWW thread. Good, then it should be ok.

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Glen - I didn't go back to check that the channel was already set. Just took the instruction from my VWW thread. Good, then it should be ok.

Hi don...good news, now have daytime running lights :D:D
changed the 2 adaptations you said and hey presto, even got the daytime running light funtion on my radio !!

only thing is....
only the outside lights are on with daytime running lights :confused: ive seen a gti driving around near me with all 4 lights lit up ? (inners and outers) is this another setting in adaptations do you know ????

just need to sort my nav out now and i will have a full UK spec jap car !!!

only with the help of you guys though..

thanks glenn

Reactions: Uwe

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
my lights are doing this at present...
daytime running lights are just the 2 outside lights as seen in this pic

my side lights are the same outside 2 as the daytime driving lights only not as bright and the centre of the inside light ?

my headlights are the same as my sidelights other than the centre of the outside light lights up

and my main beam is the same as my headlights only the centre on the outside light is brighter

the inner light led bits dont seem to light up at all ????

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^^^^ Glenn: Good to hear that you now have your (outer DRLs) working!

I've had another look at your Leuchte channels and I've also compared them with other models in my data base. your settings appear to be not dissimilar to other GTI's in my database. The behaviour that you have described with the operation of the all the lamps (except the inner "angel-eyes") are consistent with the settings for those lights in their respective Leuchte channels sets (including the observed light dimming down to 26% for the parking lights). I assume that you are not getting any error messages on the MDF, so I assume that the changes that I suggested are not causing the problem with the inner LED lights. Are you sure that inner angel eyes are actually connected?

fibrizo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156569
my lights are doing this at present...
daytime running lights are just the 2 outside lights as seen in this pic

the inner light led bits dont seem to light up at all ????

That's actually correct behavior for the NAR GTIs. There's no LED modules behind the inner ones unless you have a golf R. I think JP might be the same also.

HTB1iHqxFVXXXXanXpXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg

2013-golf-front-2-960x604.jpg

I know people put aftermarket versions so they can have both, or buy the golf R lights.

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Ah right, thanks for the reply, i'm happy now then !! just got to try and sort why my interior light dosn't come on when i stop the engine !! tried the switch overhead but it only has 2 positions, (in or out) 1 posistion turns them off alltogether and the other posistion make them work how they are now, only when i open a door (mine is keyless with push button start/stop) if anyone else can advise on this ??

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Ah right, thanks for the reply, i'm happy now then !! just got to try and sort why my interior light dosn't come on when i stop the engine !! tried the switch overhead but it only has 2 positions, (in or out) 1 posistion turns them off alltogether and the other posistion make them work how they are now, only when i open a door (mine is keyless with push button start/stop) if anyone else can advise on this ??

Glenn: it brings me joy to read your words "i'm happy now then"! LOL Seriously, it's good that the outcome was successful.

As for your internal lighting problem, it seems that all KESSY driven ignition switches on the mk7 (regardless of whether they are ROW, or NAR) exhibit the same behaviour with internal lighting. Here's a recent thread that I read on this very topic from a gaggle (is this the correct collective noun- perhaps a "pride" is the better noun?) of fellow forum members on the GOLF MK7 site GOLF MK7.

Last edited:

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Hi don, thanks again for you help/advise..car is in VW main dealers today to hopefully try and get the nav loaded !! thats the only thing i have got left to do to make my car complete uk !!

thanks glenn

fibrizo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=156569
Here's a recent thread that I read on this very topic from a gaggle (is this the correct collective noun- perhaps a "pride" is the better noun?) of fellow forum members on the GOLF MK7 site

Now I'm curious. What should we call a group of forum members for VW products :P I have some candidates from the animal nomenclature.

Apes - Shrewdness, Troop
Cats (General) - Clowder, Clutter, Pounce, Dout, Nuisance, Glorying, Glare
Crows - Murder, Horde, Parcel, Storytelling
Owls - Parliament, Stare
Parrots - Company, Pandemonium

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
No joy at VW with the nav :-( :-( they say they cant activate it as its not the original unit from the car, said they had there "master tech" on it for 3 hours !!
my only other option is to send my unit to these guys WWW.APG.ORG.UA in ukraine who said they can do it so it will be just plug and play with latest maps ?? anyone ever had any dealings with them ??

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
No joy at VW with the nav :-( :-( they say they cant activate it as its not the original unit from the car, said they had there "master tech" on it for 3 hours !!
my only other option is to send my unit to these guys WWW.APG.ORG.UA in ukraine who said they can do it so it will be just plug and play with latest maps ?? anyone ever had any dealings with them ??

Glenn: Bummer-it would appear that my joy and your happiness was somewhat short lived!!

Did you eventually download the SATNAV data from the navigation.com site as suggested by Gary_M on post #21 and were you able to create a legitimate SD card which was duly accepted by the J794 module when you put it into the slot? If you haven't done this bit, it is definitely worth-a-try before you launch into the Ukraine solution (IMO). incidentally, if you have completed this process- what was the message that you got on the screen when you put the SD card into the slot?

Not sure that it will help but I've included below a list of the pertinent info. for the infotainment units in my data base. I've put your original (Japan) unit and your new (EU) unit in the first two columns. Nothing jumps out at me when I look at the table (albeit you do have a few "odd" Bye values) . But the problem for me is that I don't have any other EU based J794 modules as comparison in my list - the closest values in my table to anything resembling EU data is my Russian entry. But perhaps more importantly, the real serious confounder here is that as yet the J794 module in the mk7 has no label file (work-in-progress at RT). Also, the circumstances for your car are fairly unique and the fix might have nothing at all to do with code changes!

Also, I notice that the 5 x slave modules for address 5F in your original auto-scan (on this thread) weren't on your WVW post. I assume that you deliberately left them off and that there are no errors in these modules in your latest auto-scan reports.

Perhaps someone else here has some insights.

PS: Good luck with the Ukraine connection

dauZMYu.jpg

Last edited:

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Hi don, you have lost me with the 5 x slave modules ?? Didn't leave anything off that I'm aware off ? Used the same link on here and WWW ?
Not tried the download as yet as I thought that's what the vw main dealers would of tried so I will try that today before sending my unit to Ukraine, have spoke to the Ukraine guy via email and he said he can do it no problem, he can do the jap unit to European FM and 2015 European maps activated with no component protection for €300, and the European unit he can do the NAV activation with no cp for €250, said it will be done same day once recieved and sent back !
Might be worth me sending both units then I will have a fully functionable discover pro unit to sell if someone wants to upgrade !!
Will let you know how download goes but please let me know what the 5x slave module thingy's are !!
Glenn

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Hi don, you have lost me with the 5 x slave modules ?? Didn't leave anything off that I'm aware off ? Used the same link on here and WWW ?
Not tried the download as yet as I thought that's what the vw main dealers would of tried so I will try that today before sending my unit to Ukraine, have spoke to the Ukraine guy via email and he said he can do it no problem, he can do the jap unit to European FM and 2015 European maps activated with no component protection for €300, and the European unit he can do the NAV activation with no cp for €250, said it will be done same day once recieved and sent back !
Might be worth me sending both units then I will have a fully functionable discover pro unit to sell if someone wants to upgrade !!
Will let you know how download goes but please let me know what the 5x slave module thingy's are !!
Glenn

Glenn: here's an extract from your original scan for the native Japanese unit. I've highlighted the slave modules in blue-ish

Code:
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)       Labels: None
>     Part No SW: 5G0 035 050     HW: 5G0 035 050
>     Component: MU-H-N-JP     H41 0227
>     Serial number: K5F AW74A00OR9
>     Coding: 02730006FF00000021330001001000001F0203260100010076
>     Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
>     ASAM Dataset: EV_MUHig4CAW7 001105
>     ROD: EV_MUHig4CAW7_VW37.rod
>     VCID: 59B3CC3D585DAEE9485-800C
>     Media Player Position 1
>     Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G0 919 606     HW: 5G0 919 606
>     Component: ABT_High  H51 0022
>     Serial number: VWZ8Z9NJ6007ER
>     Engine Control Module 2:
>     Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 GH    HW: -----------
>     Component: JPN 2013/2014  --- 7127
>     Serial number: --------------------
>     Door Electronics Driver Side:
>     Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 8V0 919 813     HW: 8V0 919 813
>     Component: DSRC UNIT  H04 0001
>     Serial number: 502080139301
>     Brake Assistance:
>     Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 8V0 035 504 A    HW: 8V0 035 504 A
>     Component: VICS Antenna  H03 0001
>     Serial number: 503080011003
>     Door Electronics Rear Left:
>     Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: V03 959 800 EG    HW: -----------
>     Component: Gracenote  --- 2006
>     Serial number: --------------------
> No fault code found.

I normally see "Subsystem 1" and "Subsystem 2" sometimes appears on auto-scans down here on the more optioned models (like the Golf R). However, I've never seen Subsystems 3, 4, or 5 before, so I don't know what they do. Clearly the number of supported features in the EU unit is less than the original configuration. For example, I noticed from your 5F admap that your original Japanese unit had WLAN capabilities (i.e. its own hotspot), but I doubt that the EU can accommodate this. Similarly, the Japanese unit allowed a TV tuner as part of the MOST bus (Japan is the only country that has this). So stuff is different with the EU unit - just how different, I don't know

Missing descriptors like "Brake Assistance", "Engine Control" an "Electronic Door" controllers worry me, but, if everything works OK in the car, then I guess it's just an unwarranted concern. The fact that the radio works and you can play media without the auto-scan entry for "Subsystem 1" is encouraging. Perhaps you will get-back the rest of the relevant control modules in your auto-scan report when the SATNAV is fixed. Just something to bear in mind - that's all. Again, good luck with the SATNAV fix and please provide feedback on the SD card update (for our interest)

Last edited:

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Hi, well got my car back now, they said they have tried an upload from an SD card as well, they say they need an activation code for the NAV from VW but they wont give it them !
Only thing different now is when i first turn the car on the nav comes on and works for around 30 seconds ?? then it goes off again and says the usual "navigation data in infotainment system are not valid, please check data"

So, i thought i would take the European infotainment unit out and plug my japanese one back in and see if i could change byte 9 to 11 to see if i could get uk FM stations..and guess what....the jap unit now comes up "component protection! " (but my compass came back in my clocks ??)

so put the european unit back in again...

going to try the SD map update myself today as suggested and if that doesnt work..
then it looks like i am going to have to send the japanese unit to ukraine to see if they can do what they said and convert it to UK maps and FM and remove component protection....great !!

Been trying the Nav download all day and getting nowhere ! downloaded the 7zip file and the map update which took 3 hours but struggling to extract to an SD card, computers are not my thing so giving up before i smash my monitor to bits

Last edited:

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Oh well, after 3 hours downloading the update, i managed to get it onto the SD card, put it into the SD card slot as said in the update instructions, then this appears on the screen

then after 30 seconds i get this

now sent my jap unit to the ukraine so see what the outcome of that is !! cant understand what vw have done to get my nav to work for 30secs then go off ?? never done that before..

will update again if/when i get my unit back

thanks all glenn

TD&MCK Car Sales

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=160148
Just has email from guys in ukraine to say its all ready to be posted back to me...so fingers crossed there will be a nice update in next few days !!!!

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404

Glenn: I assume that you are you joyous now! Seriously, well done - it took some time, but with perserverence, you got there in the end!

Just out of interest, would you mind putting-up a new auto scan please - I'd like to see if your Ukrain connection made any observable coding changes and I'm intrigued to see if you got back your slave controllers on address 5F.

Also, If you have the patience, another posting of the admap for 5F would also be of interest (to me at least)

Question for RT: Glenn mentioned that the Ukrain company would disable CP on his Japanese infotainment unit. Is it really that easy to defeat VW's protection protocols?

Last edited:

GaryM

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=226919
Is it really that easy to defeat VW's protection protocols?

Anything is possible if you're a determined electronics/software reverse engineer.

I assume you're aware of the Polish ABRITES AVDI kit? That can remove CP and do a whole load of other impressive things including all the SKC stuff on the later immobilisers. If the Ukranian company didn't use their own method then they may well have just used the AVDI kit. The eastern Europeans seem to be quite good at that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
Back