Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 01 MK4 Jetta 1.8T Immobilizer (first time poster....)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody has tampered with this vehicle since I have taken it over from my kid (about Jan 2019).
    I do see the "coding" and VCID numbers changed between the two months of scans.

Observation: both keys are stamped with a "W" and the Ross Tech info I could scour indicate a W key is for different immobilizer system?
    I seem to recall an "F" stamp?
    Any bearing?

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody has tampered with this vehicle since I have taken it over from my kid (about Jan 2019).
    I do see the "coding" and VCID numbers changed between the two months of scans.

Observation: both keys are stamped with a "W" and the Ross Tech info I could scour indicate a W key is for different immobilizer system?
    I seem to recall an "F" stamp?
    Any bearing?

Are you bullshitting me, because otherwise you need a new or reconditioned cluster and to do an 050 swap to preserve the old keys + check D2 coil?

VCDS will be limited to an adaption & provided you have security access pins for existing and target components, did you know that?

No bearings but maybe lots of grease are needed for these components Stabilant 22A?

TEARS or LIES which is it?

You sure your kid isn't messing with you?
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 11-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

3. Likes _Val liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying Jack is correct, but the data ain't passing the sniff test as it were. Your cluster has crapped out and there are very suspicious signs of foul play. I would say at face value the cluster needs to be swapped out. But I suspect some jerks here can bring it back to life (Jack is said jerk).

You can go with a good used cluster, but VCDS can't pull the PINs needed and VCDS can't alter (UK correct) the odometer once it has +100km on it. We have a video showing how to match up a used cluster... once you have the PINs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_51qeEyec

I guess the cheapest thing to do right now is pull the cluster out and inspect the terminals, make sure there is no coolant back there or other surprises.
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

5. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying Jack is correct, but the data ain't passing the sniff test as it were.
    Yeah kind of smells like the air in COW/HOG/CHICKEN SHIT country & on a 105 F degree day; with extra humidity but not raining and with a slight breeze to bring the methane wall front and center to hit you in the face to taste it?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, well l've been driving to Marina Del Rey today to look at a used Volvo for my daughter (been off the computer for awhile) to replace the Nissan she totaled a week ago.
    Don't get me started. Wasn't in the condition as listed......

My post is All true, and it wasnt my kid who was into the car. He was going to college and has zero car inclination or knowledge or tools.
    Jack, this is one of those "there ain't no conspiracy theorys here" posts. Sounds like my cluster is knackered.
    AND my mileage is all "Jack" d up (insert pun). Bummer.

How come this car drove like a bat out of hell for 4,000 miles after i fixed it all up (that was just a personal outburst, not looking for color commentary) and then just took a dump...Argghh.

This is sounding like I have great looking car that will be a lengthy and extended endevour to get running. Once running the odometer won't match.
    Therefore I might have a "cluster" F on my hands.

Perhaps someone can tell me this: when the immobilizer is initiated is it common for the speedo and tach to peg to the opposite side? Its as if there is a faulty ground and the little pixies are
    trying to find their way through whatever path is available? AND is it common for the fans to kick on at high speed (both of them) when the immobilizer is initiated?

Jack, I know you think there is something sinister here, and from all the posts I read of yours over the years, I understand you want the audience to not be lead down a rabbit hole, there isn't anything weird.
    I appreciate the feedback. Thank you, Eric

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric,

The fact lower case text has changed in scans from upper case in cluster and gateway plus coding is very suspect & because a short or byte offset would indicate garbled data.
    In this case it's not that, but as if a mod was done by deliberate key strokes of eeprom in an editor and rewritten with no X-sum done and which shows a DTC for the inaccurate math in the units own stack, don't you see this?

Did you know you could install a defaulted reman or new cluster & do an 050 or with no key married and set miles with VCDS, then defeat engine immobilizer?

Did you know I offer SKC retrieved services or data transfer & adaptions that are plug and play?
    In this case where suspected tampering I don't set miles and leave it to consumer to do with VCDS, indeed you could do this as per RTFB?

FYI: I only work with valid credentials, certified funds and equipment in hand to observe prepaid.

Someone has done "something" & it wasn't with VCDS or from a car wash, don't you see this?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    (geez I just typed this whole reply and didn't hit "post quick reply").

Flame suit on.....does it matter if one of the logs was a VCDS log and the other was a copy/paste from a MS Word doc?
    Maybe the formatting changed. I'm somewhat new at this VCDS thing. If you were looking at spacing, capitals and indent differences.

I'm much more comfortable wrenching than computer programming a vehicle. The electronics is not my strong suit.
    I haven't looked for a reman cluster, although the thought occured to me. SKC, its an 18yo car, I was expecting the dealer to have lost those records.
    I was not aware of your extra curicular computer activities, let's discuss. (isn't Angry Orchard near you? We have some out here).

Without boring the audience, the previous owner didn't do anything himself, it was all at the local VW dealer. I went over all the records and timeline.
    It matched with the stated miles and service records. EXCEPT an aftermarket CV axle that I recently replaced (nice vibration and it wasn't from The Beach Boys).
    And my starving student kid didn't do it either, he doesn't have the knowledge, skill or interest. He bought a 2015 Camry.

I pulled the cluster this evening. No burning smell. No frayed wires. The plastic panel in front of the cluster was a bear to remove; I don't think anyone had removed it.
    The cluster appears original, and there were no paw prints on the back.

I briefly read yesterday the immobililzer could be deleted/defeated.
    Be nice if the immobilizer could be deleted, one less thing to go wrong and let's face it, it already has a millenial anti-theft device (manual trans). Don't need an immobilizer.
    Be nice if the odo was more realistic, the wonky thing went to 43K and change for an 18yo car.

Where do I go from here since it appears I'll be renting a vehicle for a bit?

Cheers,

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Angry Orchard is right around the corner, like 1 minute.

Nope the discrepancies are not from a copy and paste issue and are isolated to gateway and cluster specifically.

Like I said, you can set mileage with VCDS should you buy a comporting replacement cluster.

Credentials such as drivers license and title copy plus legal forms completed will start at contact form to commence here.

https://europeanpartsemporium.com/contact/
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 11-04-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunwood View Post
    Flame suit on.....does it matter if one of the logs was a VCDS log and the other was a copy/paste from a MS Word doc?
    Interesting. Maybe Jack could know how MS Word could change label file from "1J0-920-xx5-17.lbl" to "None".
    Checked 19.6.2 and label file is still here. Last modification 2008.

MK4 cluster is walk in a park. Hope you can solve it.

14. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, MartinsX liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just printed out the log from Aug 12th, and the one from Saturday.
    Went over them and highlighted all the differences. (sorry old print guy its how I work).
    I can now see all the discrepancies. What a mess.