Bench Testing 2003 A6 2.7t Cluster

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Hello guys new to Ross Tech i got the new Hex V2 and i can read the cluster and everything else in car i take the cluster out (ill explain in a sec) and hook it up and i get failed to initiate vcds tests and reads in options... ok back story my battery went dead in the car changed my battery and good ole immo came on (reflashed ECU Epromm to immo off, to drive car)lol went to redapt and cant .... so hooked up cheapy ftdi ft232r cable and read cluster its in shambles totally corrupt so take it out to try and recover eeprom on bench and k-line (which 10000 sites say its pin 25 on blue) will not read, hook it back in car it reads put it back on bench it will not .... pin 1,23 +possitive, 7,9,24 -negitive, k-line 25, every site i go to which have been doing for days i have done literally over 100 searches each in a different format and still come up the same thing. What am missing or people that do this, what secret step are they keeping to them selves.... no one around here does eeprom burning anymore and i dont want to buy a burner for just one time use, PLEASE HELP. I am register owner of my Hex v2 if you need to check email is [redacted].. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Are these clusters that suseptable to dead batteries that itll currupt the cluster eeprom? Thats kinda messed up and cheap on audis part and really f'd up for a person that does know about tuning and eletronics(most people that drive these cars)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I am register owner of my Hex v2 if you need to check email is [redacted].. thank you
Verified. But this would have been easier if you'd used the same e-mail address to join the forum and buy your VCDS. ;)
Are these clusters that suseptable to dead batteries that itll currupt the cluster eeprom?
As a general rule, no. But let's not lose sight of the fact that this cluster is 16-17 years old now. That's like 90-somethig in people years.

As for it "in shambles", I have a fuzzy recollection that these late-mode 4B clusters always gave the typical mileage and immo tools fits.

-Uwe-

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
I figured that too, but the bench test perplexese ... it works in the car but not on the Bench, what am i missing or does it actually use the can busses

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I would be very surpised requires any CAN bus connection to "talk".

-Uwe-

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Those clusters may have 2 K-lines, one for diagnostics, another one to communicate with ECU. Aren't You trying to connect to second one on the bench? Just a thought, I'm too tired after 6 days and some nights working this week to get up and start another computer with wiring diagrams right now, sorry. I never had any problems connecting A6C5, A4B5, Golf4, PassatB5 etc similar clusters on bench. They all are similar, but pinout may have some differences. Post an autoscan with cluster connected to car.

_Val

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=356659
Code:
blue/7	  gnd
blue/9	  gnd
blue/24	  gnd
blue/1	  +12v
blue/23	  +12v
green/28  K

This is what I have used in A6 C5 facelift clusters.

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Thats the pins i have used and it just will not read lol its got me flustered im driving the car with immo off code but i have no clue how much gas i have .. i have never had rhis much trouble with any eletronics ive played with

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
What gauge wire or what are you using for k-line... there is a w-line but im not using that pin

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
.... pin 1,23 +positive, 7,9,24 -negitive, k-line 25, every site i go to which have been doing for days i have done literally over 100 searches each in a different format and still come up the same thing.

_Val said:
green/28 K

Mikeb1223 said:
Thats the pins i have used
Then 25 or 28?
Where is autoscan with cluster in car?

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Its pin 28 green, my blue 25 is no wire connection on the connector. The w-line is also on the green but not used (i guess) on bench test

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Post an autoscan with cluster in car;
Post a photo or drawing/diagram how You connect ipc and vcds interface for bench test.

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
I got it!!!! Its pin 28 on green but had to use a 12 ga wire from pin to obd reads perfectly no if i can just write to my eeprom thats corrupted ill be golden

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I got it!!!! Its pin 28 on green but had to use a 12 ga wire from pin to obd reads perfectly no if i can just write to my eeprom thats corrupted ill be golden

giphy.gif

What a Jelly donut? So where is the auto-scan and did you succeed with your FOD golden shower yet?

Did you undo the induced FOD & set the ECU back to a status it can be adapted too or manually flagged for reach around?

fod-control-signs-risk-series.png

Mikeb1223

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
Wtf lol why an autoscan on just the cluster, and i am trying to find a software that apparently crypts the vdo of 2003's bin i am so close to figuring it out.. this is a challenge to me and love messing around with this stuff and i also learn from it, separates me feom the common driver and a Enthusiast ;) btw Full Metal Jacket is by far a Favorite.... Semper Fi!

MartinsX

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=268515
Autoscan is always useful for others willing to help OP. For example in Your case in autoscan I could see IPC HW/SW partnumbers and versions + coding without asking You several questions and explaining what number/code exactly I want to know. And autoscan eliminates human factor faults (missreading, misstyping etc) - VCDS read all necessary data from modules and save in autoscan file automatically and correctly.

Back