What version to use? 64bit or 32bit?

ususer

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have downloaded latest version of vcds from official site.
I see that 32bit version still works under XP. Great that software developers still support XP OS.
I plan to migrate to Windows 10 OS.
What is the best version for Windows 10 64 bit? 32 or 64?
I heard that 64 bit versions are faster but VCDS was always a bit laggy software. But i don't really care.
So does 64 bit version gives any advantages or 32bit version is a good decision under Windows 10?

Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The fact that VCDS still works on XP doesn't mean XP is "supported". We haven't considered it "supported" in quite a few years, meaning we don't do any testing on that OS.

If your Win10 system is 64 bits, we recommend using the default 64 bit version that the installer will give you.

As for VCDS being "laggy", what are the hardware specs the XP computer you've been using? ;)

-Uwe-

PS: I didn't realized there was a place called "Nebraska" in Lithuania. :confused:

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=96924
What is the best version for Windows 10 64 bit? 32 or 64?
Thanks

If you have the 64 bit version of Windows 10, there is normally no good reason to run the 32 bit version of VCDS. I am pretty sure that the reason for the installation option to "install the 32 bit version on a 64 bit computer" is a holdover from a time when there were a few 64bit Windows 7 computers that had issues with the 64bit version of VCDS (I had one of these computers). I am quite certain that this problem has been fixed the later versions of VCDS and Windoze.

Have Fun!

Don

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
I run 64-bit VCDS on a W10 tablet with a pretty low spec (of processor, RAM & SSD) and don't find it 'laggy'?

ususer

Reaction score
PS: I didn't realized there was a place called "Nebraska" in Lithuania.

Hello Uwe! I am sure you had 10/10 points for geography at school. My IP address speaks for myself.
I have no reason to hide that but whenever i see registration fields on an internet asking for real information i always lie (habit). If that is not against the law of course.

As for VCDS being "laggy", what are the hardware specs the XP computer you've been using?

It is 10 years old pc. I am using it to check my 1998 Audi. I have realized it that i have not vcds but vag-com software (but it looks the same). I bought the Klite cable in our local electronics shop with a cd. It works fine with my car and works fine on WInXP. It seems a bit laggy but i guess the problem that it takes some time to connect to controllers and there is an illusion that it is a laggy software. I don't really care.

Sooner or later i will buy a new car and for newer cars vcds is necessary. I will have to upgrade to vcds and probably to update to newer os.

Reactions: Uwe

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
PS: I didn't realized there was a place called "Nebraska" in Lithuania. :confused:

It wouldn't surprise me if the one in Lithuania existed long before the one in the USA.
American settlers seemed to like a lot of familiar place names :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hello Uwe! I am sure you had 10/10 points for geography at school. My IP address speaks for myself.
I have no reason to hide that but whenever i see registration fields on an internet asking for real information i always lie (habit). If that is not against the law of course.
In this forum, I am the law! :D

I like to have real locations (at least the country someone is located in) because cars do vary, as do the resources available to customers in different countries.

It is 10 years old pc. I am using it to check my 1998 Audi. I have realized it that i have not vcds but vag-com software (but it looks the same). I bought the Klite cable in our local electronics shop with a cd. It works fine with my car and works fine on WInXP. It seems a bit laggy but i guess the problem that it takes some time to connect to controllers and there is an illusion that it is a laggy software.
VAG-COM was the original product name, but VWAG objected to our attempt to register that name as a trademark, so it got changed to VCDS in 2008.

On K-Line cars, it takes an absolute minimum of 2 full seconds just to send the initialization request to each control module. There is no way around that. And then they "talk" at a maximum speed of 10,400 bits/second. Some are even slower..

-Uwe-

Last edited:
Back