Problem recognising the adapter - possibly a clone?

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
Hi, I bought what I thought was a genuine unit second hand at a car meet, but now I'm suspecting it may be a clone.

It was shown working on the guy's laptop and connected to my car (turned off the warning beeper on my tailgate for me). No serial number on the outside, label just says "NEW VCDS, HW:v1.96 SW:V16.8.X". I opened it up and the board inside says "(c) Ross Tech LLC 2008" on the connector board, and "HEX_PROv5" on the interface board. When I run the latest software, I can do the test and it finds the interface of type "Ross Tech HEX-USB", but VCIConfig doesn't display any interfaces. If I try to run the test with it plugged in to the car, I have a green light on the unit but I get Interface Not Found then.

Clone?

I've since ordered a HEX-V2 Enthusiast 3VIN and looking forward to receiving that soon!

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
VCIConfig does not work with legacy interface. ;)

Please post number from [About] screen and photo of the unit.

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
iCqLbFl.jpg

d9KgvaL.jpg

EAfi3n8.jpg

OH0xRnu.jpg

91upMIg.jpg

This is as much as I can get for the About screen, as I said it doesn't find the adapter when it's tested connected to the car :-(

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
OK tnx for post, please wait a bit now. I believe the right answer will come soon. ;)

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
From your experience, does it look like a genuine adapter? At this stage I'm resigned to having wasted £50, but it was worth a punt at that price. I'm trying to patiently wait for my genuine unit to arrive from Ross Tech :-)

Viking

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151455
Did the software come on a CD or did you download it direct from Ross Tech?

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
If it has a software version listed on the interface there's a 99% probability it's a clone.
Genuine interfaces always work with the latest version of the software so would never need a version number on the label.

Also, £50? Listed as New?
Genuine interfaces have never been that cheap.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hi, I bought what I thought was a genuine unit second hand at a car meet, but now I'm suspecting it may be a clone.
Whats shown in your pictures above is most definitely a clone.

But I see you've ordered a real HEX-V2 directly from us yesterday.

-Uwe-

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
If it has a software version listed on the interface there's a 99% probability it's a clone.
Genuine interfaces always work with the latest version of the software so would never need a version number on the label.

Also, £50? Listed as New?
Genuine interfaces have never been that cheap.

Mike, it was second hand at a car meet, so not from a normal source.

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
Whats shown in your pictures above is most definitely a clone.

But I see you've ordered a real HEX-V2 directly from us yesterday.

-Uwe-

That's what I figured when it wouldn't work with genuine software I'd downloaded directly from you, hence ordering the real thing :thumbs:

What's the shipping time likely to be? Guessing it would have been faster from a UK disty (Sorry Mike@Gendan, didn't spot the distributors until I'd already placed the order!).

Thanks
Dan

Reactions: Uwe

Mike@Gendan

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57030
Mike, it was second hand at a car meet, so not from a normal source.
You're right - I missed that bit.
A quick scan of 2nd hand genuine interface prices on ebay would have been a good idea though.
If a price seems too good to be true, it usually is!
What's the shipping time likely to be? Guessing it would have been faster from a UK disty (Sorry Mike@Gendan, didn't spot the distributors until I'd already placed the order!).
No problem.
Incidentally I can't answer about Ross-Tech's shipping times but had you ordered from us over the weekend you'd have it on Tuesday.

Reactions: Uwe

headcloudmonkey

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=384665
It worked to shut up the annoying beep from the tail gate, so I thought it was genuine. Live and learn :-)

Let this be a warning to anyone else out there that gets an offer like this at a car meet or similar!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In theory it should ship tomorrow (Monday) and FedEx is generally only 2-3 days across the pond.

If you'd prefer to order from Mike, I can cancel order number 20229873 in our system. Just let me know in the next six hours or so.

-Uwe-

Back