Throttle Body Alignment - Adaption Status says 35.0

sometimesmechanic

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277861
Hi,
I have a 1997 VW Polo (actually my wife has it). It hardly ever gets driven (72000km), and because of that, the car just sits there for ages and the battery goes dead. After I charge up the battery and start the car, it is difficult to keep it idling, and once it does start idling it's a bit rough. The first time this happened, I figured out what was going on and purchased VCDS-Lite and a cable, and after removing and cleaning the throttle body, I was able to successfully perform a throttle body alignment, and all was good.
Anyway I just went to do it again yesterday and I cant get it to work.
I go to Engine Module 8, Basic settings 4, I choose group 098 and click go. Apparently it is supposed to come up ADP. O.K after it does it's thing, but instead it has 35.0 in the Adaption Status box, and nothing happens.
That was yesterday. Today I tried it again and it said 36.0.
Battery voltage was 11.7, and the temperature was around 40 or 50 deg C.
Much appreciated any help thanks.
Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Please post an Auto-Scan, or at least the ECU ID data from 01-Engine. You can do the latter as follows:

[Select]
[01-Engine]
[Fault Codes]
[Copy Codes]

Paste the results here.

-Uwe-

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
So you charge it up every time, but did you ever replace it? A lead-acid battery gets damaged every time it deep-cycles, and do that enough times or have it sit empty for long enough, and its broken.

Which leads me to the main theme; insufficient battery capacity and/or too low system voltage can trigger a vast array of errors, which usually make no sense.

Reactions: Uwe

sometimesmechanic

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277861
Good point. I had replaced the battery, but it was a long time ago. I will give that a go and see what happens. Also will have a look for fault codes for Uwe.
Cheers

Back