VCDS mobile question

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
I guess this isn't technically a pre sales question as I have bought the hex-net setup but have yet to receive it (no shipping issues at all, it's just on its way). I'm trying to prepare myself for when it shows up the best I can. I have a thinkpad T61 set up and ready but it's pretty bulky. Have a Thinkpad x200 at work which is much nicer but don't really want to have to wait until I'm at work (or after work at home) if I find something I want to do. Also have an iPhone and iPad air which is where my question comes in. Can I do everything I could do from the laptop on my air? Specifically coding? If yes is the answer that would be fantastic because I would much rather sit in the car with my iPad instead of trying to balance a 16 inch laptop on the center console. Thanks in advance.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes and no. A Windows laptop can run the classic VCDS software, whereas an iOS device can only use VCDS-Mobile. In order to do coding using VCDS-Mobile, the HEX-NET needs internet access.

-Uwe-

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
I can have Internet access either in the garage (low signal) or I could tether from my phone. Would the hex-net need to be tethered or the iPad? Or both? (Not sure if that's possible). So assuming I can come up with Internet are you saying I could do all the coding I want and not need to involve a pc at all? That would be ideal. Thanks again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
In principle, yes. Remember though, that's still a "Beta".

The HEX-NET would need to be in Infrastructure mode, connected to a network on which it can access the internet. Whether that network is provided by your home router or your phone is (theoretically) irrelevant, but... The HEX-NET does like a decent strength signal and low latency.

-Uwe-

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
Excellent. I live off of "principal" so if it's physically possible I'll be delighted. Is the UI the same? Meaning will I be able to select a module, use the long coding helper, and select options? My coding experience is with NCS expert, where aktiv, and nitch aktiv were the choices and it was quite easy to brick the car. Been itching to mod my VW since I bought it a year ago. Hopefully money well spent. (NCS was free. Stolen but free).

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The UI between VCDS and VCDS-Mobile are similar but not identical.

I'm not familiar with NCS.

It's pretty hard to "brick" a VW or Audi. That said, make and save Auto-Scans before you change anything. Adaptation maps wouldn't hurt either.

-Uwe-

Locoelectrician

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=235721
NCS is the "dealer level" tool for BMW. I plan on first doing an autoscan and saving it in case anything goes wrong. Thanks for the info and help. The quick responses and answers to questions prompted the purchase. Beta doesn't scare me.

Back