Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 a3 etron headlight drl activation

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.Dee View Post
    .........Coding works but turns on the low beam along with the out portion of the headlights. I just want the outter portion to work as the drl, and without the winking turn signal. Is there a way to do that?
    Chuck/Charles/Charley/Chaas/Chip: Thank you for your feedback.

It's most likely the fact that we Aussies have bastardized the form of English that our colonial masters gave to us that causes my confusion. Or maybe it's the American accent (it's great to hear, but it's difficult to understand -entirely my fault).

The lamp(s) that your are now calling "the outer portion" of the headlights is I assume what Audi identifies as the all-weather-lights and which I'm guessing (because of my unfamiliarity with NAR e-tron) is what we have been referring to the "front fog lights" in our initial chat.

From your first post (see below) I had understood that you wanted the front-fogs/all-weather lights to NOT function as DRLs

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck.Dee View Post
    ..............The fogs are already set as drl but would like to disable those and set the headlight as drl....

I had omitted the changes below in my first response. So - if you want the front-fogs/all-weather lights to NOT function as DRLs, add these mods.:

ENG116948-ENG116110-Leuchte12NL LB45-Dimming Direction CD 12 > minimize
    ENG116949-ENG116129-Leuchte13NL RB5-Dimming Direction CD 13 > minimize

Now - again because of our local version of English, I have no understanding of what "and without the winking turn signal" means - alas.

There is a function associated with DRLs which is euphemistically called DRL-wink - which dims/switches-off the DRL on the side of the car of the turn signal, when activated. From your admap, I notice that a form of DRL-wink happens on the tail-lights on your car - but I don't believe that DRL-Wink happens on the headlights.

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2018 A3 e-tron and I remember looking into this shortly after I got the car in December, 2017. I was able to turn on the upper DRL along with the lower one but it also put the rear lights on all the time as well:

From my notes at the time:

"I did a SA with 31347 and changed this:

ENG141647-ENG116593-Außenlicht_Front-Tagfahrlicht-Dauerfahrlicht aktiviert zusaetzlich Standlicht,not active ,9

to Active and it achieved the desired results. I now have the lower L shaped LEDs on as DRLs plus the outlines of the headlights.

As a side effect, this also causes the tail lamps to come on when DRLs are on. That's not the case in the factory setting. I'm leaving this back to factory setting for now.
    "
    Last edited by Andy; 10-24-2019 at 09:46 AM.

4. Likes Uwe, DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dv52, what andy posted above os what aim looking for. Thats the outter rim of the headlight i want as drl. His coding worked but cuts the rears on also, that I don't want.

Andy, thanks for posting. Glad im not the only one thats looking into things for the etron

6. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Andy: that's the tweak for "Scandanavian DRLs"
    Chuck: OK

Don

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    DV52 any luck finding which feature needs to be turned on?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck: Hi again. My personal credo is "a problem shared is a problem abrogated"!! . So - let me tell you my problem

As I understand your situation, you have implemented "Scandinavian DRLs" as per Andy's instructions which has enabled what you call the "out portion of the headlights" - is this correct? I'm not sure of the current status of the front fog-lights on your car - they should stay illuminated ALL the time with the factory Leuchte programming on your car (irrespective of the Scandinavian DRLs). Please advise what now happens with your front fogs.

Further, Scandanavian DRLs also "cuts the rears on" -as you say. You don't want this. It is possible to separately force program each rear lamp with the Leuchte DRL command -but with zero illumination. This will (should?) have the impact of countermanding the Scandinavian DRL function on each tail light. BUT (and there is always a "but"), each of the rear lamps must have sufficient spare channels to accommodate the extra commands - and some of the Leuchte-sets in your BCM admap are very full. Plus - this approach of implementing Scandinavian DRLs and then countermanding some aspects of the tweak is now getting fairly complicated!!

If you agree-I think we need another approach (a simpler way to get your wants)

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 10-29-2019 at 07:18 PM.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck: Another problem to share!

One of the peculiarities (for me at least) of MQB platform vehicles is the way that Leuchte-sets (the channels in the BCM that control the car's exterior lighting) are allocated to individual lamps: the allocation of Leuchte-set to lamp position on the car varies across models, across different equipment options within models and across vehicles in different countries.

So, the first task in tweaking lighting activity on MQB platform cars is to identify which Leuchte-set belongs to the lamp in question. Fortunately (for me) I have a reasonable database of BCM admaps from around the world to help - but this is only a guide where some models are concerned, like your A3-etron.

I suspect a better approach (no offense intended to Andy for his suggestion) to achieving your wants is to identify the 2 x Leuchte-sets for the "out portion of the headlights" and tweak these - rather than using Scandinavian DRLs and then countermanding some features. To this end, I've had a look @ my database and @ your BCM admap and my guess (emphasize, "guess") is that perhaps the candidate Leuchte-sets for these lamps are:

Leuchte3SL VRB21 (right-side)
    Leuchte2SL VLB10 (left-side)

Now comes the problem: If I look @ your BCM admap, I see that both these Leuchte-sets are active on your car and they both only have one lighting function programed (so, good start) - but VCDS reports that single light function as follows:

ENG116939-ENG115932-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion A 3 Unknown (74) 16
    ENG116938-ENG115913-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion A 2 Unknown (73) 16

In desperation and in the hope that your BCM results are an isolated aberration, I sought solace in Andy's BCM admap HERE and I found this:

ENG116939-ENG115932-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion A 3 - missing
    ENG116938-ENG115913-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion A 2,Unknown (73),16

This is not good in confirming, or not- my guess about the correct Leuchte-set for the "out portion of the headlights"

@Andy - can you explain why VCDS is reporting these Leuchte-channels in this manner-please. And do you have any additional intelligence about my guess above?

Don

12. Likes Uwe liked this post