NVRCPTRD

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376005
Hey guys new here thanks for the reading/information so far,

2009 Skoda Octavia VRS 1Z3 2.0 147TSI with engine code CCZA,

Thought I would ask on here before last resort of pulling the timing cover off to check if its a chain or a belt, I'm getting so much conflicting answers from large parts shops, generic and VW group specific on whether or not my vehicle has a belt or a chain style cam timing. Seeing if anyone on here has the same engine code, if not i'll find time this weekend to check it myself.

All help is much appreciated, ran a test on the timing the other night and currently sitting at -4.64 degrees (146,000km) so time to change only owned it the last 7000km as a second run around for the missus, has so many other electronic faults (wiped just after 138,000km to show no faults somehow, didn't have a proper VAG diagnostic tool then) but thats for another time, and working through them slowly myself.

Cheers,

Thomas. ie NVRCPTRD

siLc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=330192
This engine is chain-driven.

A simpler indication to determine whether the chain needs to be replaced is to listen for chain rattle and the severity thereof on stone cold startup.

NVRCPTRD

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=376005
siLc,

Thanks for that, I have listened to the start up and am aware of a small rattle, hence why i'm starting to look into it and ran the test, be cheaper to replace it now at the kms as i cannot find any history of it being replaced before, preventative maintenance is cheaper then fixing/replacing a blown engine :)

Cheers Thomas.

dieseldub

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28764
A way you can put VCDS to use to check for chain stretch before it causes an issue, login to the engine computer. Go to Meas. Values.

Enter number 93, GO! Make note of the number in field 3. If it's between 0 and -5 degrees, it's OK. Though as it gets closer to -5, you will want to consider taking action sooner rather than later to replace the chain, tensioner and guides.

Sometimes the number in 93 field 3 isn't 100% accurate, so it's not a bad idea to also go to Basic Settings, enter 94, GO! It will want you to put one foot on the brake and the other pressing the gas to the floor and hold it there. Engine RPMs will increase to 2000, the number in field 3 will start somewhere around 28 degrees, as the test runs the timing will retard all the way to somewhere near -33 degrees, and then back up to 28 again. As it gets down close to -33, it will feel like the engine is misfiring a bit. Don't panic, just keep your feet on the pedals, it will momentarily advance the cam and return to normal. Once it's returned to 28 degrees, it will let you know if the test passed or failed.

Either way, after the test is done, go back to Meas. Values. block 93, make note on if the field 3 value changed at all. Once again, reminding you that -5 and further negative means it's time to take action and replace the cam chain, tensioner and related parts.

Back