Active Lane Assist "bouncing" After ABS Update

larsmate

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315251
During the last Audi service there was a software/firmware update performed on the ABS for my model MY17 FL S3. Not sure how it’s connected but as a consequence of this update the ALA now doesn’t keep the car in the marked lane if I let go of the steering wheel. The car now “bounces” between the lane markings. Prior this update the car stayed perfectly between the lane markings. I have the Active Lane Assist set to “Early” in the MMI. I think I've seen somewhere that there is a VCDS tweak to help with the "bouncing" but alas I can't find it. Anyone up to speed on ALA?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
^^ I note from a previous auto-scan HERE that the value of Byte 14 on the hex A5 module (Frnt_Sens_Drv_Assist) was hexA9 - which means that the upper nibble for this Byte had a value of hexA0 in Long Coding Helper Screen speak. So (like my A3) your car was factory set for 'late" point-of-intervention - which does tend to give the driver a type-of ping-pong affect

Anyhow, perhaps change to early point-of-intervention (i.e. hex80 )-see below, much better IMO

Don

tMYhYFd.png

Don

Reactions: Uwe

MasterTommy

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=295586
Check the car settings in the MMI, there should be an additional option to enable ‘adaptive’ lane assist which keeps the car a set distance between the lines instead of only correcting when you reach a marking, and that option could have been reset to factory settings.

larsmate

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315251
Check the car settings in the MMI, there should be an additional option to enable ‘adaptive’ lane assist which keeps the car a set distance between the lines instead of only correcting when you reach a marking, and that option could have been reset to factory settings.
Thanks but I don't have that option (adaptive) in the MMI.

larsmate

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315251
^^ I note from a previous auto-scan HERE that the value of Byte 14 on the hex A5 module (Frnt_Sens_Drv_Assist) was hexA9 - which means that the upper nibble for this Byte had a value of hexA0 in Long Coding Helper Screen speak. So (like my A3) your car was factory set for 'late" point-of-intervention - which does tend to give the driver a type-of ping-pong affect

Anyhow, perhaps change to early point-of-intervention (i.e. hex80 )-see below, much better IMO

Don

tMYhYFd.png

Don

Thanks Don. Setting to "80 Point of Intervention, early (setting via menu)" appears to have fixed it. I wonder what option "00 Point of Intervention, Early) is compared to the via menu option?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Thanks Don. Setting to "80 Point of Intervention, early (setting via menu)" appears to have fixed it. I wonder what option "00 Point of Intervention, Early) is compared to the via menu option?
The cluster or infotainment menus are optional, and may not be present on some cars or some regions. Think branding and packaging, country-of-import regulatory requirements, etc. A better way to phrase those config options might be:

• Always early
  • Always late
  • Driver configurable, factory default to early
  • Driver configurable, factory default to late

larsmate

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=315251
The cluster or infotainment menus are optional, and may not be present on some cars or some regions. Think branding and packaging, country-of-import regulatory requirements, etc. A better way to phrase those config options might be:

• Always early
  • Always late

That makes sense!

findcoop

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6102

• Always early
  • Always late

Which one is the adaptive lane assist? I have mine set to configurable/default early but the Adaptive is unchecked. Does that mean late intervention = adaptive?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
findcoop: Hi,

If Mr Young will forgive me for stealing his thunder - I suspect that there is a misunderstanding of terms: the driver assist systems are Adaptive Cruise Control and separately Lane Assist. The former uses conventional CC technology plus it can maintain a driver-selectable distance (time gap) from the vehicle in front. The latter uses the front camera on the windscreen to identify the lane boundary lines. If the vehicle seems likely to leave the lane without an active steering manoeuvre by the driver, then the system automatically counteracts this. So, Lane Assist (different to Lane Change Assist) is not "adaptive" in the true sense of the term - and if it is "adaptive (by definition), the term isn't normally applied to the function (IMO).

MasterTommy (who introduced "adaptive" to the discussion) added quote-marks in his post to indicate that his use of the term "adaptive" was not standard when referring to the lane assist - at least. that's how I read his post.

Don

Last edited:

findcoop

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=6102
findcoop: Hi,

If Mr Young will forgive me for stealing his thunder - I suspect that there is a misunderstanding of terms: the driver assist systems are Adaptive Cruise Control and separately Lane Assist. The former uses conventional CC technology plus it can maintain a driver-selectable distance (time gap) from the vehicle in front. The latter uses the front camera on the windscreen to identify the lane boundary lines. If the vehicle seems likely to leave the lane without an active steering manoeuvre by the driver, then the system automatically counteracts this. So, Lane Assist (different to Lane Change Assist) is not "adaptive" in the true sense of the term - and if it is "adaptive (by definition), the term isn't normally applied to the function (IMO).

MasterTommy (who introduced "adaptive" to the discussion) added quote-marks in his post to indicate that his use of the term "adaptive" was not standard when referring to the lane assist - at least. that's how I read his post.

Don

If you do the VCDS tweak, adaptive lane tracking becomes an option under lane assist. In this mode, the car tries to stay centred instead of only taking action when the vehicle approaches the lane boundary. I'm seeking the setting that makes the adaptive mode default, whereas now it is exposed in the menu, but I have to click it again after each vehicle start.

downtime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=280813

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Lane Assist = Volkswagen branding for late intervention
Adaptive Lane Guidance = Volkswagen branding for early intervention

I think Audi may brand it as something else, the names escape me at the moment. Exact same concept behind the scenes though. The essential design concept is found in the Audi Dissertation Series title, "User-Oriented Development and Driver-Friendly Design of a Lateral Guidance Assistant" by Matthias Mann:

audi-lkas-thesis.PNG

Above is one in a very large dissertation series, all of which are really interesting, and all of which are shockingly annoying to lay hold of here in the USA. I was fully willing to pay, but they're only for sale from vendors in Germany, none of which are willing to sell outside the EU. I literally had to have a German citizen straw purchase that for me, and it's only available in German, and it's still fantastic info.

Last edited:

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
If you do the VCDS tweak, adaptive lane tracking becomes an option under lane assist. In this mode, the car tries to stay centred instead of only taking action when the vehicle approaches the lane boundary. I'm seeking the setting that makes the adaptive mode default, whereas now it is exposed in the menu, but I have to click it again after each vehicle start.

findcoop: Ok, if you say so- but I believe that you are conflating disparate functions and separate terms. The only aspect of lane assist that changes in byte 14 is when the intervention happens: setting this intervention to "earlier" doesn't make lane assist "adaptive" - it just makes the algoritm intercede sooner when the car starts deviating!!

Don

Back