2008 VW Rabbit - rear brake noise

VolksRabbit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104589
I'm getting an intermittent squeak from the rear passenger side brakes, and am at a loss to identify the cause. It can last for 10-15 minutes and mostly happens without braking. In fact, once it starts the only way I can get it to stop is by touching the brakes. I've noticed that it's worse when making a right turn and may start and stop if I hit a decent size bump (not positive about that). The rotor and pads are relatively new (about 6 months old - I installed them). I've tried tightening and loosening the parking brake actuator, but no affect. I'm wondering if it's caliper sticking. Thoughts?

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
Hi Volksrabbit,
This is not uncommon, it is caused by high frequency vibration of the pad, usually because of lip on the brake disk, sometimes it is agravated by cheap replacement brake pads. Enviormental conditions and temperature also seem to have an effect.
Do you have any lip on that disk, were they good quality brake pads? Any uneven wear on the brake pads?
Regards HMC

VolksRabbit

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104589
Thanks HMC. I'd have to take a look to see if there's a lip. I used Zimmerman rotors and usually Textar pads, but I tried Ate this time. Perhaps I'll try a new set of pads and see what happens.

Matt

HMC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=28246
If you do change the brake pads, make sure they have anti squeal shims and possibly put some anti seize compound on the back of the pads to act as a damper.
Regards HMC

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Some guys I understand use high heat RTV on reverse side of the pad & to adhere to caliper piston, this acts as a dampener.

In a couple of cases this indeed had to be done on cars that used cheap substandard quality materials for rotors or pads.

I use Wurth CU1100 Copper never seize paste/adhesive or SIG Wurth High impact grease but the RTV doesn't wash out or get affected by the new brine being used on the road for winter.

Currently been tracking what this new road salt does and to brake caliper pistons.

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Currently been tracking what this new road salt does and to brake caliper pistons.

Yeah, we’ve had the brine for a few years now. It’s supposed to clear the ice/snow more quickly; because rock salt relies on the cars to break it up. Either way, it all just rots your car.

I would prefer no salt; and have those who want to get anywhere fit winters.

I like watching Eric from South Main Auto on YouTube. He has a love/hate relationship with the salt, it helps to keep his shop full though. :)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
19cbn9.jpg

Back