HEX-COM and VCDS 19.6 crashing

Rail_Life_217

Reaction score
As soon as I start VCDS, and go to test the HEX-COM connection (so I can save the settings and go back to the main screen) I click 'TEST' and VCDS freezes up. It freezes to the point where I have to restart the computer (Windows 7) to close VCDS. The computer continues functioning correctly, VCDS Lite has no issues connecting to the interface, but can't connect to the controller. I've tried a cheap KKL cable, and my HEX-COM cable from RossTech, and the issue is the same from both. I've tried running VCDS (full) in XP compatibility mode, but I get the same result. I have 'run as administrator' or whatever checked on both Lite and full VCDS, I've been through the power settings to be sure they say "disabled", everything is up to date. Can anyone help me out? I feel like I'm missing something.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
Please post the details of your PC hardware, and which version of Windows you are running.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Since you say you have a HEX-COM, I have to ask: Does this computer have an actual RS-232 serial port?

-Uwe-

Rail_Life_217

Reaction score
No, I've got an adapter that converts it to USB. I'm lost because my buddy that I bought the HEX-COM from used it in the same configuration for a couple years without issue.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Sounds like a problem with the driver for that USB<->Serial converter.

-Uwe-

Rail_Life_217

Reaction score
Hmmm... I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers for the main cable, but I didn't even check the drivers for that! I'll check that and report back.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmmm... I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers for the main cable, but I didn't even check the drivers for that! I'll check that and report back.
A HEX-COM uses no special drivers. It's an RS-232 serial port device. Windows provides the driver for a physical serial port.

-Uwe-

Rail_Life_217

Reaction score
I fixed the crashing issue, by uninstalling VCDS and reinstalled it without the 32 bit option. That box checks itself on install, and I guess when I previously installed it I didn't uncheck it.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Scratching head. I don't really see why "Install 32-bit EXE on 64-bit System" would check itself.

Can you please right-click the installer, select Properties, and post a screen-shot of the properties sheet?

-Uwe-

Back